Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream

Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream

Review of "Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream"

published 11/01/2014 | koshkha
Member since : 26/12/2005
Seems it takes a lot to get many reads these days so be assured that all are appreciated.
Good
Pro Good control over the amount dispensed, quickly soaks in and leaves hands soft
Cons I'll never be a great love of blackcurrants.
Does it smell good?
How easily is it absorbed?

"That'll come in handy"

Advent Treat

One of the items in my 'You Beauty Discovery' advent calendar this Christmas was a 30 ml tube of Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream. I think it was the item on the 2nd or 3rd of December so I've had quite a long time to try it out. Mine was a limited edition version in 'Feuille de Cassis' - or blackcurrant leaf for those who like their names in English. I was quite excited to get a Caudalie hand cream as I'd been 'borrowing' the odd squirt of my French colleague's tube and had been very impressed with the citrus scent of hers. Sadly for me, there are three limited edition scents and I got the one that appealed the least. Blackcurrant is one of my least favourite fruits, probably as a result of having been based at a flavour factory for nearly six years and always dreading the days they made blackcurrant flavours because they smelled of cat pee. 'Catty' is a technically acceptable descriptor for blackcurrants but thankfully the Caudalie blackcurrant is not a cat pee one, it's a much more delicate, sweeter, dainty 'Kir Royale-type' blackcurrant note. Thankfully no whiffs of cattiness and no whiffs of Ribena in this one.

The tube looks as if it's made of metal but in fact it's just a metallised plastic so you'll not need to worry about this one showing up on the airport X-rays. The upside to plastic tubes is that they make it easier to get the product out, especially when you reach the end of the tube.

Caudalie? Who?

Caudalie is a French firm which specialises in 'natural' cosmetics especially those containing vine and grape extracts. It's a mid-price range that I'd characterise as slightly cheaper than L'Occitane but quite similarly positioned. The standard price for this 30 ml tube is £6 or £12 for the 75 ml tube but a quick look around online found the small tube on offer at feelunique.com for £4.80 at the moment although that's only for the blackcurrant leaf fragrance and not any of the others. The reduction suggests I'm perhaps not the only person who doesn't love blackcurrant.

The hand and nail cream contains 98% natural ingredients. I won't list them all as the white writing on a silver background is almost impossible to read but I would say that for a product of this type, the ingredient list is relatively short with less than 20 ingredients, the vast majority of which are derived from natural sources. Caudalie avoid the use of the sort of ingredients that seem to wind up a lot of people and this cream is free from parabens, phenoxyethanol, phthalates, mineral oils, SLS and any ingredients of animal origins. Interestingly to a pedant like me, the on-pack information mis-spells the word phthalate but that's not a reason not to buy.

To me it's just as important what's IN the product as what's not and the ingredients used include omega-6-rich grapeseed oils, organic fair-trade shea butter and a Caudalie special ingredient called 'Vinolevure' which allegedly helps retain moisture in the skin.

Blackcurrants and Cream

Enough about the ingredients and the company; is it actually any good as a hand cream? I have mixed feelings about this product. I like the narrow nozzle which enables me to control how much I squeeze out and avoids me ending up covered in the stuff or trying to find someone I can pass excess on to. I like the initial sweet, juicy, fresh blackcurrant scent but I find it doesn't last very long after applying and is a little too subtle. I also very much appreciate that it rubs in well and is quickly absorbed. Some of the hand creams I have don't absorb well at all and leave me hunting for a tissue to wipe off the oiliness and unable to type again until I've cleaned up so I like creams that I can 'rub and go'. My hands are left feeling soft and moisturised for several hours and they don't look shiny or greasy. Compared to the L'Occitane hand creams I tend to buy which usually have 20% shea-butter in the formulations, I suspect this one has a much lower content of shea butter and so the moisturising effect is less long-lasting.

Recommendation

I've enjoyed using this hand cream and I'm glad it was in my advent calendar but it's not the most luxurious or heavy duty of the creams that I've tried. My introduction to the brand means that I suspect it's a brand I would buy again if I saw it available at a good price, but it's unlikely to displace L'Occitane as my hand-cream supplier of choice. I have no allergies that restrict the creams I can use, nor am I too worried about the precise origins and ethics of ingredients (other than a general concern to avoid animal testing of course), so for me a higher shea butter content and a more lingering scent is more important than the precise origins of the ingredients that have been used.

• MrGump published 12/01/2014
    E from me. Well covered
  • mumsymary published 12/01/2014
    I totally agree about black currants
  • kevin121 published 11/01/2014
    I shall never look at blackcurrants in the same light again.

offers "Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream"

Product Information : Caudalie Hand and Nail Cream

A pleasurable nourishing and anti-oxidant treatment with a fresh sweet Orange Pulp voluptuous fragrance softened by almond powder and a drop of Rosewater. Does not leave any greasy film. For those who want a nourishing anti-ageing treatment for hands and nails. It contains antioxidant Grapevine polyphenols and nourishing Organic shea butter from an equitable trade source. To use: Apply on hands and nails as often as you wish and massage. Apply generously. Gently rub hands together, next massage each finger, ending with the cuticles and nail surface. Your nails will particularly thank you for this nourishing gesture which will leave them both strengthened and invigorated.

Long Name: Hand and Nail Cream