Caudalie Vinotherapie Nourishing Body Lotion

Caudalie Vinotherapie Nourishing Body Lotion

Review of "Caudalie Vinotherapie Nourishing Body Lotion"

published 08/02/2012 | pink_champagne
Member since : 08/06/2003
Why don't photos seem to show up on my reviews any more?
Satisfactory
Pro hydrates the skin
Cons slow to absorb, unusual scent, expensive given the poor quality
Does it smell good?
How easily is it absorbed?

"Send it back to Bordeaux!"

Caudalie Nourishing Body Lotion

Caudalie Nourishing Body Lotion

I seem to have a never ending supply of body lotions, but I’m trying to change that, with my New Years Resolution to use up all of my products before buying any more. One product that I’ve been using recently is the Caudalie Nourishing Body Lotion. I received this in a 30ml travel size in a beauty box. Although this is not the first Caudalie sample I have received in recent months, it’s the first one I’ve actually got around to using.

Caudalie are a French brand based in Bordeaux and their selling point is that they use grape-seed Polyphenols in their products, which are said to protect the skin from free radicals - a cause of ageing. Since 2006 all of their products have been free from Parabens, Sodium Lauryl Sulfates, mineral oils, artificial colourings, phenoxyethanol, phthalates and animal ingredients, so that should be good news for those looking for natural products. In fact they seem to have quite strong ethics – visit their website to learn more (link at the bottom of the review).

The full sized product comes in a white and green bottle with a pump dispenser. I actually really like pump dispensers on body lotions, so that little feature is a plus point for me. My travel size is in a tube rather than a bottle, but the green and white design on the front is pretty much the same. I have to say, I don’t think the packaging is particularly special and nor would it stand out to me on a shelf in store. Caudalie is not the cheapest brand in the world, but I don’t think I would have guessed that just from the packaging alone.

This body lotion is formulated for normal to dry skin. Although I get a lot of dry skin on my face, on my body, I have some areas where I would describe the skin as normal (stomach, thighs, arms) and some where it is dry (elbows, knees, shins, feet) so this body lotion should fit my needs perfectly.

I usually apply this body lotion before going to bed. The lotion is white and glossy and I find that it spreads across the skin quite easily, with only a relatively small amount being required per application. The big downside for me is that the lotion does not seem to absorb into my skin very quickly and leaves behind a slightly greasy film. It was for this reason I started using it before bed, as the one time I used it in the morning, I found that the thin cotton cardigan I’d chosen to wear that day was sticking to my arms slightly. My fiancé has also commented that my skin feels sticky after using this and tends to complain when I apply it!

Another downside to this product is the scent. I didn’t quite know what to make of it when I first started using it and was hoping the smell would grow on me, but unfortunately it hasn’t. Even now I can’t quite put my finger on what it smells of – let’s just say it’s unique! I’d describe it as being slightly musky with a spiciness to it although it has a quite sharp tone to it too. Whilst it’s not a scent I particularly enjoy, it’s not the worst fragrance ever and I can tolerate it, but I think even if the product absorbed into my skin better, I would not re-purchase the product due to the odd scent, which lingers on my skin for some time after use.

As a moisturiser this product does seem to work quite well. As I mentioned, I apply before bed and when I wake up my skin tends to feel soft and the dry patches on my elbows and knees are much more hydrated. The Caudalie website claims this will leave skin looking radiant, but I must admit, other than being more hydrated in dry areas I have not noticed any visible improvement to my skin since beginning to use this.

The full sized product is 250ml and retails at around £18-£19 in most places. It is available from House of Fraser, Debenhams, Boots and John Lewis. For that price, personally I would expect something of better quality. If you are interested in purchasing this product, my 30ml tube lasted around a week, so by my calculations, the full 250ml size should last just over eight weeks assuming you apply it daily.

Overall, I have been quite disappointed with this body lotion, which is a shame, because having read up on Caudalie, I like how strongly they believe in natural products and I was looking forward to using this. Unfortunately for the price tag, I would expect something which absorbs better and something with a nicer scent. I would not recommend this and would not repurchase, but I’ll be interested to try out the other Caudalie samples I have lurking around somewhere to see if they’re any better.

For more info on the Caudalie brand visit:

• catsholiday published 08/02/2012
    Shame it was a bit disappointing
  • angelboouk123 published 08/02/2012
    expensive! well balanced review here x