Central Heating Installation

Review of "Central Heating Installation"

published 12/05/2004 | honestlyopen
Member since : 24/03/2004
Pro Don't need British Gas
Cons A little bit of space lost in the garden.

"!!!!!Oil Central Heating!!!!!"

I moved to a rural part of Wales in 2002, after leaving the Armed forces. As you can imagine the property prices were extortionate, so I had to sacrafice the luxuries such as CENTRAL HEATING and DOUBLE GLAZING, in order to get a roof over my head.

After the move and I had settled down a little and more importantly saved some cash, the time was upon me to get central heating (after double glazing).

As there is no mains gas supply in the village where I live the options I had were either OIL, LPG (bottled gas), or SOLAR.

As tempting as the solar option was, I simply couldn't afford it or I would have. The other options OIL or LPG would mean a huge gas tank or an oil tank somwhere in my garden. As there are minimum distances the LPG tank has to be from property boundaries I decided to investigate into oil.

There were no guidelines as to where the oil tank is placed, so it went at the bottom of the garden (which will be covered by trellis ONE DAY). The Combi boiler has been put into a small room I had uner the stairs and never used apart from hoarding stuff. In all i have 9 radiators and instant hot water 24/7.

The main advantage with oil is because you need to fill the tank up, you actually pay for the oil before you use it. So there's no bill landing on my doormat on 27th December after another expensive christmas with the gas fire and heating on.

Last year I filled my tank once costing £157.00 in March, and i expect to re-fill in a month or two.

Oh Yeah there's also NO STANDING CHARGES.

• MAFARRIMOND published 12/05/2004
    Entertaining review. Sounds as if you did well with your installation. Maureen
  • melodysparks published 12/05/2004
    A good review, great job..