Review of "Central Park"

published 10/11/2000 | wulise
Member since : 11/07/2000
Well, I am feeling alot better now. I have been to Tenerife with Shane and now need some inspiration to write again. Any suggestions?
Pro During the Horse Drawn Ride, you are taken to safe areas but are given a feel for the park's atmosphere.
Cons You only see a very small part of the park, in the horse drawn carridge.

"My Horse Drawn Ride in New York City."

Ever since I was a child, I have always wanted to ride in a horse drawn carriage in New York's Central Park. My dream was realised in April 2000, when I was lucky enough to visit the New York City, for the first time.

Fredrick Law Olmsted and Calvert Vaux created Central Park in 1858, for the people of New York City. The land is initially unwanted granite. It took a lot of labour and around ten million cartloads of stone to create the splendid scenery seen today.

My last morning in New York (Sunday) dawned; the sun broke over the city. It was as if the City was inviting my husband and I to pay a long awaited visit to Central Park. The air smelt somehow sweeter today and romance was in the all around.
It was a beautiful spring morning.

Having flown down the Hudson River in a helicopter, the day before and seen Central Park from the air. I knew the park was huge (like many things in New York City). Central Park is 843 acres of green, lush parkland, open to the residence and visitors of New York City. It is free too!

On arriving at the park entrance, by the Plaza Hotel, a pleasant sight met our eyes as drivers with theirs horse and traps were being prepared for the day. In New York cars are not allowed to enter the park on Sundays so it is an ideal time to take the half our ride through a small part of the park. The driver was friendly and gave us a guided tour as we past sites of interest: The Zoo, The Ice Rink use in the Films Love Story and Home Alone 2. He also pointed out other site such as Jackie Onasis's apartments and the building used in Ghostbusters.

By the way, cars are band from entering the park during the weekend, allowing the cyclist, right of way in the park. This makes the park a little safer for its users and also quieter too. There were pedestrians, cyclist and joggers, all engaged in their chosen activities. The softball courts were all in use, with many a cry of 'Play ball!' Central Park, as well as being a beautiful large green and well maintained open space, allows the tourist to glimpse a small part of the American life and culture. As well as these activities there is area to play chess or croquet, sit and relax or even visit a Victorian Merry Go Round.

**How to get there**

Central Park is easy to find. It is situated in Upper West Side in New York City. The Subway using lines B and C, run along the full length of the park. Then there is the Bus; Routes M1, M2, M3 and M4, run along the outside of the park too. My favourite way is walking, but if that is out of the question, then there is always the ubiquitous Yellow Cab. ‘Taxi!’

**What to visit**

There are many place including:

Central Park Wildlife Centre
The Dairy (A must as this is the Visitor Centre)
Bethesda Fountain and Terrace
Wollman Ring
Strawberry Fields
Conservatory Garden

** Horse Drawn Carriage Ride**

The guide that took Shane and I round the park was helpful and friendly. He explained a little about the Park and pointed out areas of interest. The ride took about 20 minutes, but only showed us a small proportion of the Park. It was great fun and I would love to do it again, but when it is snowing. (I hear another trip to New York City calling again!).

Anyway, all too soon the ride was over, $35.00 a small price to pay for an enrapturing memory. The fee had been arranged prior to the ride commencing. So, if you visit New York take a ride in a horse drawn carriage on a Sunday morning. It is a romantic experience, which you will not forget in a hurry.

• MAFARRIMOND published 25/04/2008
    I hope I get to visit one day. Maureen x x
  • catkinsays published 27/11/2007
    I also did this, except I did it in feb and it was very cold. Brought back nice memories. Thanks Catherine x
  • Nameless published 22/06/2001
    Both informative and interesting. I love NYC and this bought back a few memories, one day I shall go there again. Cheers, :o)

Product Information : Central Park