Cerazette Contraceptive Pill

Cerazette Contraceptive Pill

Female Contraception - Contraceptive Pills

Review of "Cerazette Contraceptive Pill"

published 18/03/2012 | Spottydog11
Member since : 07/09/2007
Reviews : 1977
Pro Easy to take, works for me
Cons None for me
Side effects
Strength

"A mini-pill"

I have two kids and at the moment that is enough for me, who knows what the future holds but for now my husband and I need to take some form of protection when we have sex in order for me to not become pregnant again. As we are married and both faithful we do not use condoms anymore as we do not really see the need for them so I take the pill in order to prevent pregnancy. For the last couple of years I have taken Cerazette on advice from my doctor. Quite a few years ago now I had a DVT (blood clot) in my right leg and even though I am not predisposed to having anymore I still cannot take a combined pill anymore (that is a pill that contains both oestrogen and progestogen) as it increased the risk of blood clots so I have to take a mini pill.

Cerazette is a progestogen-only pill, POP or mini-pill which doesn't contain an oestrogen as opposed to other pills which contain 2 types of female sex hormone, an oestrogen and a progestogen. The main reason for taking Cerazette is to prevent pregnancy. According to the paperwork which comes with this pill, most POP's or minimills work primarily by preventing the sperm cells from entering the womb but they do not always prevent the egg cell from ripening, which is the main way that combined pills work. Cerazette is different from other mini-pills in having a dose that in most cases prevents the egg cell from ripening. As a result, Cerazette is a highly effective contraceptive.

The pill is free on prescription and my doctor gives me 6 months supply every time I see him as I do go for check ups regularly. The pill is easy to take although I do think you need to be good at remembering to take a pill, any pill, as they are only effective if you remember to take them every day and do not miss a day of taking a pill. What I do is keep my pills on a shelf in my kitchen where I will see them everyday so that prompts me to remember to take them. Plus, with them being in the kitchen I always have a supply of water around with which to take the pill. I used to keep them in my handbag which I did think was an ok place to keep them as I go in my handbag everyday but sometimes they would fall to the bottom and I wouldn't see them or I wouldn't have any water so decide to take it later but then forget.

This is a pill that you take everyday with no break. Some pills you take for three weeks and then stop for a week which is the week in which you have your period but with this you just take the pills everyday for as long as you decide to take this pill. The pills comes in a foil sealed pack and are individually wrapped. The days of the week are written above each pill so you know which to take which day, a very handy thing. The pills are very small and easy to swallow with some water. There is a use by date on the packet and only particular on its not until 2014.

In contrast to the combined pill, Cerazette can be used by women who do not tolerate oestrogen's and by women who are breast feeding. I am currently breastfeeding and the paperwork says that Cerazette does not influence the production or the quality of breast milk. This is good to know as I can feel safe taking it and still feeding my son.

There are disadvantages to taking a pill which are well documented such as increased risks of stroke, breast cancer etc but then who knows, I think these things can happen to you regardless if you are on a pill or not. I don't really seem to suffer any side effects with these pills such as bad skin/spots or mood swings which is good. One of the disadvantages written in the paperwork is that vaginal bleeding may occur at irregular intervals during the use of Cerazette. On the other hand you may not have any bleeding at all.

So far, in three plus years of taking this pill I have only ever become pregnant when I decided to stop taking the pill so all the rest of the time the pill has worked well for me. If you are interested in taking it I recommend talking to your doctor who can prescribe it for you.

• Coloneljohn published 29/03/2012
    Well reviewed, John
  • angelboouk123 published 18/03/2012
    good review though this didn't suit me x
  • Absinthe_Fairy published 18/03/2012
    I tried this and it really didn't suit me - I bled on and off for five weeks! I stopped taking it after that so I don't know if it would have settled down in time, but I didn't want to chance it! Glad it's worked for you though.