Review of "Chad Valley Shopping Trolley"

published 22/04/2012 | dynamicnurse
Member since : 30/07/2007
Satisfactory
Pro Promotes creative play.
Cons Could easily get broken.

"Are you being served? "

We recently bought this Chad Valley Shopping Trolley for my youngest neice for her third birthday, as she has always enjoyed playing shop keeper on a number of different occasions. It was bought Argos as a part of a two for £15 deal, although bought on its own there it costs just £9.99 and is suitable for anyone aged three and up (hence our reasoning for buying it). Height wise, I am 5'6 or thereabouts and it comes up to just above my knees (about 50 to 70 cms max); width ways it is about two thirds of that (so about 30 cms max), to about 90 cms in length - but all made of plastic, reasons for mentioning this will be looked at shortly! It comes in a box, and it is something that you will actually in fact need to put together yourself before it can be played with.

It comes with four wheels, and is obviously built to look just like your normal shopping type trolley that you would expect to see in your local Morrisons supermarket. What is also could with this particular product, is that it comes with thirty or so toy food style items - packet and tinned foods such as cereal; tinned vegetables; soup; beans, and so on which will all add to that experience of creating a positive element of creative play in to a toddlers' life at that particular age and stage of their development. Even the food items need to be made up before it can be played with!

However, the only downfall that we found was mainly due to the somewhat tomboy style of play that my neice has - and coupled with the already mentioned fact of this being made out of plastic. Within three days of her having it, the trolley was in bits and pieces all over the place - yes she may have been somewhat heavy handed with it, but my brother did tell me that he thought at one point during it being made he was going to break it because it appeared to be quite flimsy plastic that wouldn't really hold - but not that he was complaining in any way, as all of us had senn her very happily playing with it as though she had had it for years already.

And so therefore it was good that she had been able to have three days of really good play with it before it broke, but it was just a shame that it was one of her main birthday presents that got broken and so being the good Uncle that I am I decided to get her something else in its place - but thta is not for the subject of this particular review in any case!

All in all, I would say to you all that I would only really recommend this to you to buy for a child that you know is not quite so heavy handed or as much of a tomboy as my little three year old niece as the same thing could happen to it as it did here! I have always thought of Chad Valley play equipment as being quite sturdy and of quite good value, however this has led me to doubt myself a little bit! And so I would only really suggest that you buy it in certain circumstances, that is only when you have a slightly less excitable child!

Thanks for reading!

• pgn0 published 06/05/2012
    Three days is probably about average for a standard supermarket trolley to survive before it acquires normal supermarket trolley status: wonky wheels, a mind of its own and at least three dents stopping you dropping bottles or baguettes into the designated section without damage...
  • catsholiday published 22/04/2012
    Not good to break so quickly
  • angelboouk123 published 22/04/2012