Chanel Nail Varnish

Chanel Nail Varnish

Nail Varnish

Review of "Chanel Nail Varnish"

published 01/02/2008 | sadoldbag
Member since : 22/01/2008
Pro Goes on well, good range of shades, polish lasts well in the bottle, removeable
Cons Chips easily compared to other less expensive brands
Chips Easily?
Features

"Calling all WAGS and Ladies who Lunch"

I treated myself to some Chanel nail polish when buying make up for my wedding a few years ago. I wouldn't normally spend that much on a pot of nail varnish.
I personally adore Chanel, and though I'd never bought the polish before, I have bought lipstick, perfume etc from time to time, and always feel a million dollars in it. I'm sure that's totally psychological, but then that's a lot of what make-up is for, isn't it?

So, having shelled out 11 quid (in 2004, in a duty free shop -OMG) I took it home to try it.

Now when at work I wear nail polish most of the time, tend not to bother with a base coat but like to do two at least and preferably three coats of polish and expect to get two or possibly three days out of it, maybe with a bit a touch up.

First thing I noticed was that the chunky square cap actually comes off and you just hold a much less groovy round top to the brush. The bristles are a good length and the pot is quite short and wide, so hopefully I'll be able to get the last quarter out as easily as the first quarter. The polish itself was a lovely smooth consistency and went on my nails like silk. So far so good.

Dried quickly between coats and didn't change colour too much as I put layers on. Didn't bubble, or flood as I was applying. Cool.

I love the colour range, by the way - they do loads of great subtle but interesting shades; I bought 73 - violette. It doesn't smell too strongly either - some polishes are banned from our bedroom as my hubby can't stand sleeping in the smell, but I get away with this one, if it's not too close to bedtime when I waft it about.

So when my nails were done they looked great. The pot is a good size and shape to pop into your handbag, and I will now confess I am still using the same pot I bought in 2004. (I lost it for a while and had to buy a second one so I've got two on the go, hence I haven't finished up the first one yet, and I do use other polishes too - it's not a miracle bottle that never ends LOL).

So I do like it, but (and this is a big but) it doesn't last. Not too bad when I was at work when my secretary made all the tea and hubby cooked and looked after the house (in other words my hands didn't do dishes...). But now I'm a stay-at-home-mum I can't ever be bothered to wear it cos it is all chipped in about one hour.

My favourite lasting polish is L'Oreal Resist and Shine, which costs about £6 and this Chanel, in both the work and home scenarios, lasts about half as long or less.

In its defence, I would say if I want a very quick whizz over my nails before a night out, you can put one coat of this on, it is dry in 3 minutes and you're out the door and it will get you through the evening, so I do use it then. But given how long my bottle has lasted so far, I could still be using it in 2010 at this rate!

It does come off with polish remover pretty easily (ha ha - comes off pretty easily without!) , and more than three years on my original bottle still applies easily, hasn't gone sticky or clogged up and the brush is still good -no bristle shedding or anything.

Their Rouge Noir is a FABULOUS shade though and probably worth going to prison for stealing. If you do get banged up make sure you take it in with you though as you will need to reapply it regularly.

So, in summary - this has plenty of nice features but it's clearly a polish designed for WAGS and ladies who lunch, not ladies who cook!

• Bens__mummy published 03/02/2008
    Great review there. x
  • lillamarta published 02/02/2008
    Well-reviewed and made an interesting read.
  • S.Bate published 01/02/2008
    That's a lot of money for a bottle of paint!