Chapstick Original

Chapstick Original

Lip care, softens moisturises, cares for your lips.

Review of "Chapstick Original"

published 07/04/2010 | SusanLesley
Member since : 21/10/2000
Pro Works well, cheap
Cons None
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"I have balmy lips now!"

If you regularly read my reviews you will know that I couldn't live without lip saver!

I hate the feeling of my lips being dry and I suffer from this problem all year round in sun, wind or in doors in the central heating. I find myself constantly licking my lips and then wiping them dry and then they just feel even worse. Consequently I have a collection of numerous lip balms in drawers around the house and more in my handbags.

I read a review not long ago about Chap Stick and I thought - now there's an old product. I used to use this when I was a teenager, and that's 40 years ago; I didn't realise they still made it.

Of course the next time I was shopping in Boots I had to take a look to see if they had any. I don't like to think I am missing out on anything after all.

The Chap Sticks were available in original, apple, strawberry and cherry at £1.19 and a soothing medicated one at £1.79. I decided to try the cherry one as I love the taste of fresh cherries although I may well try the other flavours too.

This is one of the lip savers that comes in a tube the size of a lipstick so it fits nicely in the pocket of my jacket or trousers and it will be easy to carry in my handbag. Even though the top is small and I was concerned that it would come open and get lip saver over everything in my bag this didn't happen - it always remained secure.

When purchased the top of the Chap Stick is attached to the base by means of a plastic seal so that you can be sure that it has not been tampered with. The tube itself is also plastic and so ends up in the recycling bag when it is empty which is always an advantage as far as I am concerned.

As I said the tube itself is about the same size and shape as a lipstick. The tube for the one that I purchased is red; logically enough as it is the cherry flavoured one, and has the words Chap Stick on the front together with the words 'everyday lip protection'. There is also a full list of ingredients shown.

To open the Chap Stick you just have to twist the top to break the seal. The top doesn't cover the complete tube as it would with a lipstick or some of the other lip savers that I have tried. This one is about half an inch in length and sits on the top of the tube.

To use the Chap Stick you remove the top (obviously) and then twist the base of the tube to make the lip saver come out of the top as you would with a lipstick.

The lip saver itself is pink in colour, although the other flavours may well be different colours, and you apply it to your lips in exactly the same way as you would apply lipstick and using the same sort of amount as lipstick. It also feels the same as lipstick on your lips when you apply it although it is slightly softer than a conventional lipstick.

The taste of the balm is very pleasant but isn't really the same taste as fresh cherries, but then you wouldn't really expect it to be would you? As I say it is pleasant enough although it is quite synthetic.

Unfortunately the fact that the flavour is pleasant means that I tend to lick my lips when I am using the balm which in turn means that I have to apply it more frequently. Silly me!

When I use this product I find that my lips feel instantly hydrated, soft, smooth and comfortable. My lips also have a light sheen to them when I use this product.

I certainly find that the balm makes my lips feel good; they feel moisturised and just generally nice which is exactly what I want from a lip saver.

So, there you are them, a product that has been around for years and it is still keeping lips soft and moisturised for a bargain price. What more do you want?

• mumsymary published 27/04/2010
    This is a good one
  • rojm published 13/04/2010
    always buying this well reviewed
  • frankiecesca published 13/04/2010
    You can't beat a good old chapstick!! x