Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look in a Palette

Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look in a Palette

Review of "Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look in a Palette"

published 03/07/2017 | Violet1278
Member since : 10/11/2008
I have been way for a few weeks so apologies if I have missed your reviews. Am starting the catch up!
Pro Generous amounts, gorgeous shades, suits all skin tones
Cons Expensive outlay
Length of Coverage
Ease of Removal
Visibility

"5 Minutes To Look Polished and Beautiful"

Here is the product and the packaging.

Here is the product and the packaging.

Charlotte Tilbury Instant Look In A Palette

Over the last few years I have tended towards a minimalistic lifestyle, with the emphasis very much on buying only items that I will use everyday. Growing up at the end of an era when many had a Sunday best outfit and my grandparents had a Sunday best room, I did for many years buy things and “keep them for best” This kind of philosophy wasn't bringing me happiness, so now if it isn't an everyday item I won't buy it. I own less but I use it all, and this is something I really try to keep to. It stops clutter and reduces choice which I find calming.

Key areas I apply this philosophy to are in the make up and clothes areas of my collection. With regard to make up it has to be something I am going to pick everyday, as products have short shelf lives and require frequent replacement. As a contact lens wearer I am even more particular about this. The palette I am going to review is absolutely perfect for me as it fits all my criteria and is a wonderful product in terms of quality and ease of use.

Charlotte Tilbury is a well known make up artist but has only had a make up collection since 2013. It is a higher end set of products available quite widely online and in John lewis stores, and in many ways I respect her ethics as she is similar to Bobbie Brown in that she is creating make up for real women in the modern world who have little time but want to look polished.

All About The Palette

The Instant Look In A Palette is described as a "5 minute face on the go", and it contains products to create a natural eye look, bronzed glow and blush. It replaces eye shadow, blush and bronzer so is compact and ideal for travel.

The packaging is beautiful – solid and very well made and it has a large integral mirror under the lid. The colours are very natural as the name suggests and are ideal for speedy application.

Each product is numbered to help with the order of use, and great care has been chosen to select colours that suit all skin tones, though I would say this is perfect for fair skinned complexions in particular. The eye shadows are rich and buttery and do not settle into fine lines so they are perfect for mature ladies. The eye shadows comprise of a lovely collection of rose gold and bronze tones, and the entire look has been designed to impart radiance and light which I feel it does effortlessly.

The palette has also been designed to be HD friendly, so it lends itself beautifully to weddings or special occasions. So let's look at the shades in the palette in more detail.

Inside The Palette

In the top left corner is shade number 1. This is labelled 1 Eye Brighten and it is a gorgeous brightening shade that has a pale rose undertone. It has colour correcting properties and it intended to prime the eye. I use this all over the lid and if you are very pressed for time it really looks pretty just on its own. It is very matte so it subtle and understated.

Shade 2 is the enhance shade, and this is used in the crease or all over the lid depending on the look you want to do. Charlotte describes this as a natural glowing champagne shade but I see it more as a golden brown. Either way it is gorgeous and using a blending brush and windscreen wiper strokes it adds a lovely dimension to the eyelid. I tend to use this looking in a mirror with my eyes open so that I can make sure it is visible. This is because my eye lids are not as open as they used to be. It has a very slight shimmer but not enough to settle in fine lines or to look unnatural.

Shade 3 is the shade I use slightly less often – this is the taupe shade that is used to define the eye and can be built up to create a smoky eye. It is beautiful and I use this several times a week and more especially for an evening look. The inclusion of this shade makes this palette so versatile for travel as you can create a day and a night look in minutes with the same collection of shades.

All these shades are very generous in amounts and last a very long time with daily use.

Shade 4 is the face bronzer and this is identical to the shade in her very famous Filmstar Bronze and Glow Palette. It is a very natural bronzer that you can use to define the contours of the face and to add warmth. It has no orange in it at all and looks absolutely natural. I really love this shade, and it joins my all time favourites by Guerlain and Too Faced that both make natural bronzers that look like your own skin.

Shades 5 and 6 are the blushes and the idea behind the two shades is that shade 5 is a swish – and is described as tea rose hue that is applied to the apple of the cheeks but is blended out, and cheek pop which is then applied directly to the apple of the cheeks. This shade is a more rose pink and gives a healthy “just in from a winter walk” look. Both are lovely but again I would say that the blending out shade is tawny and not tea rose as Charlotte describes.

Finally there is a face highlighter which is subtle and has no glitter, but it imparts light into the face, and I also use this in the inner corner of the eye as it really lightens this area. This is a pearl shade with no glitter so it looks natural.

There is a wonderful video with detailed instructions on the use of the palette here
and here

The first video has specific recommendations for lipsticks and eye liners, as well as a mascara that is used to complete the look. With regard to these products I have the lipstick- Bitch Perfect, The Light Wonder Foundation, The Retoucher Concealer and the pencil in the Shade Audrey which is absolutely gorgeous and is a rich chocolate brown. You can buy a collection including these some of these extra items on the website at www.charlottetilbury.com. I do not use all of her suggestions as I have some favourites of my own, and due to cost and also my minimalism ideals I have not tried all the products mentioned. However I have no doubt that they are lovely as everything I have tried so far has impressed me so much that I will be purchasing other items from her collection as I use up what I have from other brands. I highly recommend her brushes though – the blender blush is outstanding and is superbly made and works beautifully with the eye shadows in this palette.

To purchase this palette you will be to set aside £49 depending on where you purchase. It sounds a lot but it encompasses so many products in one palette. I have been using mine for months and there is hardly any impact on the palette at all. Furthermore I have not been tempted to buy any products on the spur of the moment, as this is all I need each day with the additional items I mentioned- namely powder, lipstick, mascara and an eye pencil and of course foundation.

I love the fact that you can use this to create an evening make-up by using the taupe shade all over the lid. Holidays are a breeze with this palette as it covers days and evenings perfectly and it travels so well.
Final Thoughts

I think this palette is excellent value for money. There are no shades in this that I don't use and I think it suits all ages. The amounts included are generous and the palette is transportable yet has copious amounts of product. For me it is a winner on every count I can think of. The shades are so beautiful and the buttery shadows are easy to blend and they apply like a dream. It lives up to all the hype and more in my opinion and I will repurchase without hesitation.

It is easy to remove all of the products at the end of the day with normal removing methods and I have suffered no breaks outs or at all from these shades.

I know £49 sounds like a lot to spend at one time, but this is an example of something really worth the outlay in my opinion, because you have in this palette the ability to create a beautiful look simply and easily with high quality products. I would shop around for cash back - for example Feel Unique now stock her range and there is cash back from sites such as Topcashback for this retailer, and some bank accounts offer rewards for shopping here too such as RBS.

Available from

www.johnlewis.com
www.feelunique.com
www.cultbeauty.co.uk

I have included a photo but I think Ciao are having problems with photo display at the moment.

• IzzyS published 14/09/2017
    Well reviewed.
  • HarrogateHippy published 26/08/2017
    That's expensive but it sounds worth the initial cost
  • Mildew82 published 25/07/2017