hippylove... 5

hippylovechild

Member since:25.07.2003

My name is Sarah and I am addicted

27.11.2004 Diamond review

Advantages:
Smells delicious, sexy, lots of compliments !

Disadvantages:
You will get harassed by strange men !

Staying power

Design of the bottle

How would you describe the fragrance?Heavy, Oriental, Others

Would you buy it again?Yes

Why did you buy it?Packaging, Recommendation

20 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. polo_princess
  2. just.bcoz
  3. sandemp

Will there ever come a day when I can gaze upon my almost embarassing collection of perfumes and think to myself "Sarah, you now have all the perfumes you could ever want" and stop adding new bottles to my collection? Well, it doesn't seem as if that day will be dawning anytime soon. I would like to tell you about my latest addiction, er, perfume, Dior Addict Eau de Parfum.

My quickie love affair began with Addict in 2002 when it was launched, as a girlfriend of mine bought the 'fume on a whim, as she liked the box and the bottle. Luckily she also really liked the scent, and the torrid quicky affair began with me snatching squirts from her stock. I refused to buy a bottle for myself, as I already own a ridiculous amount of perfume, and it was a bit expensive even for my rich taste (and bruised visa card). Now that winter is once again upon us, a fact that is made even worse by my running out of (oh joy!) my favourite winter scent Jil by Jil Sander (which seems to have ceased to exist?). This resulted in the escalation of the quicky affair with Addict. It all started out innocently enough, grabbing the occasional squirt fron Janine's stock, or when I happened to pass by the bottle in a perfumery, but it soon escalated: I was now visiting the perfumery with the sole intent of grabbing my 'fix' of a squirt or two of Addict. This can not be healthy, nor did I enjoy the irritated looks from the polite ladies in the shops, who were probably thinking 'her again!'. This had to end, so I cut a deal with myself. You see, I really, really, really loathe going to the dentist. I would rather get 3 paps done than go to the dentist. But alas, one must go once in awhile, so I made a deal with moi meme that if I go to the dentist, and if I don't have any cavities, than I can treat myself to a SMALL bottle of Addict.

Needless to say, I am cavity free, and it was worth it!

The story of Addict:

Dior Addict is a line by Haute-Couture fashion house Christian Dior. The line consists of lipsticks, nail varnish, fabulous lipglosses, liquid lip colour and two scents; Dior Addict Eau de Parfum and Dior Addict Eau Fraîche. There is also a line of Addict scented bath and body products. When the perfume first was released in the states, there was a huge uproar about the advertising campaign, as it 'insulted' recovering drug addicts. The video clip which shows model Liberty Ross running in a dark wet alley wearing a trench coat and stilletos, giving the impression of being chased. She stops suddenly and leans her back against a wall, out of breath. She then sprays herself a couple of times with perfume, and closes her eyes in pleasure, like a junkie getting a fix. The print campaign also features Miss Ross, scantily clothed in lingerie, her body beaded with sweat, and the slogan "admit it". Oooooh lala. You can check both out under www.dior.com/addict.

The Presentation and perfume line:

Addict EDP is packaged in a holographic box, with Dior in white and Addict in fuschia written sideways, and at the bottom Eau de Parfum Natural Spray and the volume. The inside of the box is fuschia, with intructions on the lid to the lock function of the sprayer. The bottle itself is magnificent: although I have many bottles of perfume, I can honestly say that this is the most original and elegant bottle I own. It is made of deep violet glass, which sometimes appears indigo, sometimes more purple, depending on how the light shines through. The top of the bottle is midnight blue plastic with Dior Addict written sideways, right to the sprayer. At the top of the sprayer head is a doornob-esque gilded button, which can be turned clockwise to lock the sprayer, and when set to 'open', can be pressed to release a gentle spray of pure indulgence. The bottle is so elegant, yet very practical, as there is no cap to lose, and the sprayer can be locked for transport, as well as preserving the product.

The EDP is available in 20ml (no price in £ found), 50ml (£26.50) and 100ml (£40.50) sizes. Prices are quoted from strawberrynet.com. There is also a luxury bath and body line consisting of 200ml body moisturizer, 200ml shower gel, 200ml body creme, 150g soap, and 100ml deodorant spray if you want to go all out.

The scent:

Dior Addict is a scent like nothing else I have ever smelled and is very recognizable on other people although it melds with your own scent. It consists of the tradiational head note, middle note and base notes to give it a pyramidic texture. The notes break down as follows:

Head or top notes: Mandarin leaf, silk tree flower (never before used in perfume)

Middle or heart notes: Night Queen flower (a jamaican Orchid which only blooms once a year for 30 minutes at night!), bulgarian rose, orange blossom.

Dry down or base notes: Bourbon vanilla absolute, mysore sandalwood, tonka bean.

This is a combination which has never been blended before, with the rare Night Queen flower (has a slightly cinnamon-like scent) making this a truly original perfume that is sure to be a classic. It is a very heady, rare scent best suited to cooler temperatures or in the evening.

Application and recommendation:

Addict is a 'skin' scent which smells best when it is applied to the pulse points. It's a shame to put it on your clothes, as this will result in the vanilla dominating the dry down. I use a squirt in my cleavage, on the nape of my neck and on my wrists, and I can still smell it in the evening after work, and if I don't shower, it still lingers the next morning. From my experience, it seems to react best with women with darker eyes and hair, but I am not a chemist. I have a couple of fair blonde friends and on them it smells too musky, but don't let that prevent you from trying it, it may suit you perfectly!

Since I have started wearing this, I have not yet received one negative comment. My husband loves it, he tells me it smell sexy, yet somehow comforting, a bit like Christmastime! A female superior at work actually came up to me and said "sorry to bother you, but please tell me what perfume that is, I have never smelled anything like it before!". She bought herself a bottle of it, and it is delicious on her too. A very good looking young man whom I work with asked me as well what perfume it was, as he had to keep walking by my desk to grab a whiff, he told me that he will be getting it for his girlfriend for Christmas. I could fill a review with the compliments I have snagged, even from perfect strangers since I started using it. I myself catch myself sniffing my wrists! There must be something addictive in it!

I highly recommend this fragrance if you are looking for a heavier scent that is not too overpowering (patchouli, anyone?) nor 'off the rack'. It is a very individual scent on the skin, so do be sure to try it a couple of times first, before adding it to your Christmas wish list.

Thank you so much if you have read this far. I hope this review helped you to understand my passion for perfume! What can I say, I'm an addict!

Smoochies
Sarah

just.bcoz 29.12.2007 18:44

Great review well done on the diamond

TheChocolateLady 12.01.2005 07:45

Bravo on getting a diamond for this one!

lizzyb21 10.01.2005 22:07

I also have this perfume, it was a pressie for xmas, wasn't too sure at first, but getting used to it now, will try putting on pulse points. Liz.