Chrysler Neon 2.0

Chrysler Neon 2.0

Convertible, Saloon - Front (FWD) - 5 Speed Manual, Manual - 178, 131 bhp - Petrol - Available Trims: SE, LX, LE

Review of "Chrysler Neon 2.0"

published 20/06/2008 | mariush123
Member since : 28/05/2008
Pro everything
Cons pulling big trailers...
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"it still is a GREAT Car"

I have previously written a review on the Chrysler neon lx heading : "who said safety and luxury is expensive".
Feel free to read and give your comments, I just have to add another comment to the Chrysler neon range.

Overall it is a very nice car with all the added gadgets ,like air-con, power steering, traction control and abs brakes.
Although the LX models are a 130bhp 2.0 litre car the power might seem a bit on the low end, but do yourselves the favour and push the revs to about 6000rmp and you will notice the 130 horses packed under the hood works well together, it gives you the impression of all the horses gathering together, accommodating each other to give all the power simultaneously, all equal , and working together like a well trained team.

The downside of the NEON that I picked up is when I moved house about 2 weeks ago, we moved, and me and my dad prefer moving our-selves as we don't want the furniture to be damaged, so we rented a 2 ton trailer, to pack in most of the big thing's.
Upon collecting the trailer, the rental lady asked me what cubic size is your car's engine, quite proudly I answered 2.0l. nice she replied, she also added that I cannot give you a 2 ton trailer if the car is smaller than a 2 litre, driving of, I can certainly feel the weight being pulled with me, (trailer empty weighing in at 800kg's) stopped at the house reversing the trailer into the driveway I noticed that the Chrysler was having trouble pushing the trailer into the driveway. Anyway trailer is reversed in and we loaded the trailer and we are off to the new house, driving with the massive trailer hooked onto my backside, taking off at a intersection was VERY slow and if feels as if the car is going to die any second, gradually working the accelerator and the clutch to keep the revs from dropping to under 1000 rpm was the trick for the day, and travelling was a slow, very slow process, getting on to the freeway this started to shape up a bit but accelerating form 80km/h to a 100km/h was a steady 2 minute process , knowingly that I cannot happen in a few seconds, but still, I did expect a bit more form it.

After the move was completed and all the boxes and furniture was packed away, and the trailer was dropped off, the car felt like it was released out of a hell, and was driving like a drea, accelerating was WOW and the fuel consumption was great , obviously because there was no more 800kg' hooked to my back.

A bit worried that the clutch burned ,I took the car to my nearest Chrysler dealer and the inspected and advised me that all was ok.
That did make me think a bit, the car isn't very strong when it comes to pulling big trailer's and so on but no trailer attached, overtaking is a breez, note that the power realy starts pulling the car at pace just a tad over 3900rpm. after 4000rpm it realy is a blast to drive the car.

Overall it's a great car…
and i still recomend the car to anyone..
safe driving.