bifbails 4

bifbails

Member since:08.01.2006

Car Insurance

27.01.2006

Advantages:
Cheap, quick

Disadvantages:
no nodding dog

8 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. lindsayjayne
  2. mumsymary
  3. HotBabes
  1. AnitaM
  2. Marans

When it comes to car insurance, i'm afraid i'm a bit lazy. Don't get me wrong, i do have insurance but i haven't got the time to shop around and find not just the cheapest quote but also value for money.

I've been driving for 9 years now and even when i've bought a new car. i've just gone along with the same company. A friend of mine told me i was stupid and could be saving money by getting quotes from other companies. But i was settled with what i already had. I was paying them for insurance and breakdown cover and in the 9 years i've only had to call them out once when the wife accidently left the light on on her sunblind and flattened the battery. But it's not the wife's fault I hear you all shout!

Anyway i moved last year to what i considered a better area when considering car crime and i also now had a garage to house the car. I rang the insurance company up expecting a nice reduction in my premium, to be actually told it would be going up by £20. I might of been shellshocked but stupidly agreed to the increase.

It wasn't until a few weeks ago when my insurance renewal came through that i finally decided that action had to be taken. My renewal quote was just a joke with it going up another £7. Now you might be all thinking that £7 isn't much and i would agree. But when you've been driving for 9 years with no claims and no convictions, so am i wrong in thinking the premium should be going down?

So the mission was set, find a new company get it all organised and have great pleasure in saying bye bye to my current insurers. I started off by flicking through the yellow pages and obviously saw all the adverts which seem to be on constantly now. In a few years time there'll probably be a new digital channel just for these insurance companies to sell their products.

I got a few quotes but they were all around the same price as i was already paying except one which was just ridiculous. You'd think I was driving a ferrari for the price i was quoted.

I had a moan one day to my father in law and he asked if i'd checked out Churchill. He did the same last year and got a free nodding dog. Well this is the selling point for me especially with a 2 year old that loves the Vic Reeves commercials.

So I went online and typed in their website address, www.churchill.com and was amazed by all the different things you can insure with them. Anyway car insurance is at the top in the middle section and i was firstly drawn to those magical words, 10% off for applying online. Most companies now offer discounts for applying online and 10% was one of the best.

I clicked on car insurance and it firstly tells you what you can save on other insurance products if you are already a Churchill customer. I then clicked on, get quote and filled in my details. I also had my wife to add as an additional driver. The whole process took around five minutes. The only part i didn't like is your claim and convictions screen. You have 2 boxes for each and you enter any history you may have. Now with myself, I selected no convictions and no claims in the two boxes. But in order for me to continue to the next screen, i had to enter if i had any claims or convictions in the second box. Work that one out for yourselves.

When i had finished entering my details, you are presented with a summary screen for you to make sure everything is correct. If you are happy then you are shown your quote and was I happy! My quote was nearly £75 less than what i was already paying. You can obviously change your excess amounts and legal cover etc but i entered everything exactly to what i was already getting.

When you've got your quote, you can save it, accept it, ammend it, or get it sent to your inbox. If you save it, you have a few weeks to think about it before it expires and you have to start the process again.

I also got a quote for breakdown cover and like all companies, there are a few schemes you can choose from. I chose the basic package like i already had and saved a further £25. So in total for just 5 minutes effort, i saved a total of £100.

Not surpisingly after thinking about it for 10 seconds, i accepted the quote. within a couple of days, i received all my documents and all they wanted from me was my renewal notice to prove my no claim discount.

I haven't had to speak to them yet on the telephone, but looking at their website you can contact them seven days a week and the phone number is also shown.

Lastly then was the bit i was looking forward to most, telling my now old insurance company. I was prepared for a, we don't want to lose your custom and we'll match any quote but instead they simply said that my wish to not renew will be recorded and I'll be sent a letter to cinfirm this. This from a huge worldwide company who don't just sell car insurance and whose moto is 'every little helps'. Well my premium certainly isn't helping you anymore!

So when looking for cheap and value for money car insurance, try Churchills. I only wished i'd done it sooner!

lindsayjayne 16.05.2006 01:47

I have just bought a car today and have been shopping around for quotes online. Churchill's was only about £10 more than the cheapest. I had a look at reviews on Ciao of the company who gave me the cheapest quote and I certainly don't want my insurance with them after all the bad reviews they have. After reading your review I think I'll go with Churchill. Thanks!

HotBabes 28.01.2006 19:00

I've been with Churchill for years, can never find anyone to beat them on renewal price and their customer service is excellent. x

neenn 27.01.2006 20:26

Like you I never used to shop around, since then I went with esure despite the appalling tv ads much on a par with the annoying Churchill ones!