Cillit Bang Power Grime & LimeCleaner Spray

Cillit Bang Power Grime & LimeCleaner Spray

All Purpose Cleaner, Kitchen Cleaner

Review of "Cillit Bang Power Grime & LimeCleaner Spray"

published 10/02/2013 | lynnmc1
Member since : 11/09/2012
New to Ciao + Dooyoo, username lynnmc on dooyoo is me too!
Good
Pro Gets through tough grime
Cons Smell, harsh and lots of rinsing required
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Cillit Bang, a tough & smelly cleaner!"

Cillit Bang Grime & Lime power cleaner is a cleaning product I picked up in the supermarket recently. It is one product in a range of Cillit Bang products which are advertised on the TV and seem to clean miraculously.
I bought this mainly for use in my bathroom as I have recently had the bath with overhead shower replaced with one large shower cubicle which shows up and soap build up much more than the tiles or bathtub did before. I find myself cleaning this much more often and as it is large it can take up quite a lot of time so I thought this might make the job a bit easier as it claims to be 4 times more effective than the leading cleaner.

The bottle is very easy to spot in stores as it is bright and unique. It is bright purple in colour with a large bright orange label and spray nozzle. The bottle holds 750ml of spray. It is often on offer in supermarkets, I think I got 2 Cillit Bang products for £5. The full price is about £3.50 per bottle.

It can be used on chrome, acrylic plastics, ceramics, glass, stainless steel and PVC flooring so it is very useful in the bathroom. At first I sprayed it everywhere, on the toilet, sink, takp, shower, tiles and floor but now only use it as little as possible. It does clean well and removes limescale and soap with ease but it also has it's down sides. The smell is very strong, the bottle does state to use it in a well ventilated area and I can see why. I only have a small bathroom window and even with the bathroom door open more than a couple of sprays of this has me feeling dizzy.
It is also an irritant and shouldn't really come into contact with skin. It says to rinse thoroughly if it does come into contact with the skin but I wear gloves as a lot of cleaning products irritate my hands.
It shouldn't be left for more than a minute without rinsing on PVC flooring, and no longer than 5 minutes on other surfaces. This alone was enough to put me off using it again, if I had read the bottle before use I probably wouldn't have bought it. If it could damage bathroom fixtures I dread to think what kind of chemicals are in it.
Everything should be rinsed after cleaning with this and this spray, which I bought to save time, now takes me more time to use as I rinse so much to get rid of any trace of the cleaner. When cleaning glass I still need to use a glass cleaner as well to get rid of streaks.

There nozzle can be turned and closed which is a safety feature but it is quite tricky to turn it back to open again, it seems very stiff and fiddly on my bottle.
For large areas it is easier to spray directly onto the surface and leave for a couple of minutes before wiping and rinsing away the cleaner, for smaller areas or areas near fabrics I spray it onto a sponge and wipe clean with the sponge as it can also damage fabrics. A fair amount of the spray comes out when pulling the trigger so you only need a couple of sprays to cover a large area. It seems quite runny so when sprayed at the top of a surface it runs down the surface so there isn't a need to spray much further down.

I think this is a good choice for any really tough 'grime and lime' but other than that I try not to use it where possible. The smell is too strong and not pleasant for my liking so I've gone back to an old lemon cleaner for most bathroom cleaning jobs. As I don't use it often now the bottle should last me a long time but I wouldn't be in a rush to buy it again.

Makes tough grime easy to get through, but not for everyday cleaning.

• taz123456 published 10/02/2013