Citroen Saxo 1.6i

Citroen Saxo 1.6i

Hatchback - Petrol

Review of "Citroen Saxo 1.6i"

published 31/05/2010 | Scattle1808
Member since : 31/05/2010
Pro Cheap, Economical and plenty of cheap spare parts when needed.
Cons Exterior and interior trim build quality isnt the best. Looks are a bit dated.
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption

"Citroen Saxo 1.6 Automatic"

I owned the P reg 1.6 Litre Citroen saxo automatic for roughly 36 months.
It was a great little car for the time I had it and done what I needed it too which was mainly getting too and from University/

The best thing about it was the Cheap insurnace and how cheap to run it was.
Cheap insurance is normally not what you expect from Saxos as they are stereotyped to be bought by Young Boy racers, the 1.6 Automatic seemed different to this as not many people had the Automatic Version. It also use to regularly see 38+mpg for around town trips and 45mpg for Long motorway and duel carriageway journeys which was impressive.

There were a few downfalls of the car and I found these out to be the exterior trim mainly, I wasn't sure if it was old age as the car was a 1996 P registration, but a few parts use to randomly fall off or become loose, for example The plastic part under the headlights or the plastic door strips which just clip on and also there would be many rattles from inside the cabin, I believed this to be doorcard clips broken and them sort of minor problems.
Many people associate french cars with bad electronics but in the time I had the Saxo the electronics never failed once.

The Engine i found was also very strong, I sold the car on 149,000 miles and it was still as strong as the day I got it, it wasn't religously maintained like some cars, but was done at regular intervals of 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever was first.

The phase 1 saxo from 1996-2000 wasn't the best looking car from the outside as i found it to be very square and boxy like but this is down to personal preference.

One thing that I did find enjoybale about the saxo was the Nimblness and road handling. It was a great nippy little car and would go round corners with ease as it was so light. It is around 950Kg's from the factory.

The 1.6 Automatic came standard with a 4 digit keypad password which had to be entered correctly before you could turn the car on, which i found very usefull and a good security measure. Rear leg room was impressive for a small hatchback and all seats supported well and were comfortable on long journeys, but they did look and feel cheap.

Many features came aswell such as standard ABS which was a bonus, a Cassete player also came from the factory.

That's what I have found over the 3 years I had the car and am pleased to say I did definitely get value for money in my opinion.

• dynamicnurse published 31/05/2010
    Welcome to Ciao! Nice work, well written.