Indian Restaurant - Address: 27 City Road, Chester CH1 3AE

Review of "City Spice, Chester"

published 09/09/2017 | mumsymary
Member since : 23/09/2002
Just gone to watch the Tour of England cycle through my home town
Pro Convenient for train station , food good
Cons ?
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"Was the City Spice in Chester nice?"

City Spice, Chester

While I staying in Chester a couple of months ago now I ate out at the City Spice one night.

~~#Why did I choose this restaurant?
The City Spice on City road near the Train station and near the hotel where I was staying. There are a few other eating establishments nearby too.
I fancied a curry; there is also another restaurant selling curry opposite.
I had looked in the window earlier at the menu and decided it looked ok.

~~# Opening times.
Monday to Thursday 17.30- 1am. Fri and Sat 17.30-2am
Sunday 17.00 - 12am.

~~#The Restaurant
This is a fairly small restaurant seating about 40 downstairs long and thin with some seating upstairs which is often where bookings for a large group or party is seated. The decor is quite neutral and plain, has no real character.
The resaurant was clean and tidy.

~~#My Visit
I went into the City Spice at about 19.30 it was quiet except a group of 6 people arriving after myself.
I choose my table .(it was just me on my own ,I do not really like eating out on my own feel a bit out of place ) The waiter came quite quickly and gave me a menu.

~~#Drink
City Spice is licensed but I did not want alcohol due to medication I was on. So I just had water

~~# Menu
I looked at the menu it was a pretty standard menu. The prices not cheap if comparing it to Bradford curry prices but not expensive if comparing it to prices in the small Chiltern town where I live.
A few examples
Starters Onion Bhargi £2,20 Chicken Tikka £2.50 King Prawn tikka £3,95.
Mains Chicken Tandoori £5,95 Chicken dopiaza £4.95.
Nann breads £1.50, Rice £1.50
Some English dishes e.g. chicken and chips £5.50, Plaice and Chips £5.95
For full menu see http://www.chestertourist.com/rest_cityspice.htm. They do free home delivery ............... locally at a distance of less.
I ordered a starter of Onion Bhargi followed by Chicken Dopiaza with Nan bread not rice.

~~# waiting time.
Perhaps it was because I was on my own but I felt I was waiting quite a long time for my meal.

~~#My food
My food tasted good about as I expected, not out of this world but very tasty. Portions were a good size, My Naan bread huge; in fact I almost wished I had not ordered a starter.

~~#Service
Service was fine, impersonal but not unfriendly.

~~#My thoughts
I enjoyed my meal. If in Chester again on my own or with other people I probably would not choose to eat here again. Mostly because I like to try different places. If I were with other people, I would not be averse to eating here again though.
If I was witth a family group with young children yes I think it would be suitable esp as they do some non curry dishes,

~~#Websites