Review of "Clarins Rouge Eclat Age-Defying Lipstick"

published 20/04/2017 | Violet1278
Member since : 10/11/2008
I have been way for a few weeks so apologies if I have missed your reviews. Am starting the catch up!
Pro Long lasting dewy finish , does not bleed or transfer, good colour choice.
Cons Price.
Absorbency
Gloss?
Frequency of Reapplication

"A Premium Lipstick With Excellent Qualities."

Clarins Rouge Eclat Age-Defying Lipstick

Premium make up and toiletries are not my mainstay, but I do have some very select favourite items from high end brands that I repurchase with frequency. They have to really earn their price in my opinion or I will buy inexpensive dupes. Clarins is a brand that I do like, and they have some of my favourite products, including the subject of this review namely the Rouge Eclat Satin Finish Age-Defying Lipstick.

I actually like to purchase from Clarins themselves, although occasionally I will use Allbeauty.com or another online website, but buying from Clarins direct means that you know the product is fresh and hasn't been sitting in a warehouse. They also have a good loyalty scheme, and the product comes directly from Paris. Added to these attributes the opportunity to add samples before checkout gives you a good opportunity to try new things for the first time. I really like this as otherwise the cost would make these items rather expensive mistakes should they not please. This is how I came to trial the Rouge Eclat lipstick in the small 1.5g size. I have been so delighted with it that I now have the full size on order, so this is testament to my enjoyment of this lovely lipstick.

The Lipstick

Retailing for £20 for the full size this is a premium purchase, and for this cost you are getting a product that claims as quoted from their website to be “A lipstick that offers more than just colour, the first age-defying lipstick from Clarins. Intense long-lasting colour and The Nutri-Youth Complex protects lips against dehydration and boosts collagen, Vitamin E protects against free radicals and 100% plant waxes provide instant comfort. Fifteen shades of lip nourishing, age defying, luminous colour with a delicious blackberry and liquorice scent.” The lipstick also contains cocoa butter, jojoba, sunflower and mimosa oils, all of which add moisturising properties. All good claims but let's look at my experience in depth.
Any Other Reviews?

I always like to read review in detail before making a purchase, and one caught my eye from the Clarins website, as a lady there had been given a sample of this lipstick, as I was, in the shade Woodrose. This is a pinky brown shade, and I was very interested in her views, as this is my go to shade being a lover of others such as Mac's Velvet Teddy or Dolce Vita from Nars. She found the shade to be too dark for her complexion, but she did praise the lasting qualities, and the moisturising effect. I would second this, and say that the lipstick does indeed stay on very well for several hours, and also, being a Satin finish, it is moisturising without being too sticky or glossy. The application is effortless as it glides on evenly, and I think the long lasting effect is achieved by staining the lips so that it lasts, even after eating and drinking, fading gradually rather than leaving colour in patches. There is no colour transfer onto teeth or bleeding into fine lines, which I am very conscious of, and also the packaging is very pretty with a transparent area so you can see the shade. I really love the shade Woodrose as for me it seems to illuminate the face leaving me looking well and healthy, and it works very well with minimal other make up so is perfect for rushed days. There is also no need for a lip liner. The lipstick does have a slight fruity scent reminiscent of blueberries or Ribena.

I really can't comment on the anti ageing properties as this is impossible to quantify, but certainly the product is not drying and is very comfortable to wear on the lips.

Reviewers on Make Up Alley, my favourite website for gauging consumer opinion before purchasing cosmetics give this lipstick 4.1 out of 5, which although an impressive score there are only 7 reviews which makes this difficult to really assess.

Shades For All

I think the shade range is very comprehensive, and there is something for everyone with several nude shades which I really like to choose from for everyday wear. Some of the shades currently available from Clarins are listed below. Originally there were 15 but more have been added and some of the original shades are difficult to find now. To give you an idea here are a few-

Nude Rose which is a nude flesh pink.

Sweet Rose which is a cool toned light rose.

True Aubergine which is a deep purple.

Coral Pink which is a vibrant pink

Woodrose- my shade which is a warm browned pink

Candy Rose which is a a medium cool toned pink with a pearly, slightly frosty finish,

Pink Magnolia which is a a dark reddy pink, with brown undertones

There are several more that you can see over at Clarins.co.uk

Different shades are available at John Lewis and other stores.

Make Up Artist Choice?

I always like to see what make up artist Lisa Eldridge thinks of any make up that I am considering and she uses this widely in her tutorials. I have enclosed links below.

Nude Rose is featured in her pink lipstick tutorial here

If you fancy an orange look this video is interesting – featured is Juicy Clementine

A Smoky Eye look for hooded eyes uses shade 15 Nude Caramel

Final Thoughts

So in conclusion I would say this is a high quality lipstick with long lasting properties and a moisturising dewy finish. It fades gradually, does not bleed into fine lines, and is packaged beautifully. I would have no hesitation in recommending this to you, and certainly I have found Clarins to be very good value for samples and reward points. Although I am tempted to purchase elsewhere I do go back to Clarins for these reasons as the samples are especially generous.

I really love this lipstick for holidays as it is just so easy to apply, and lasts several hours. I think this is one high end product I can recommend and one I shall continue to purchase.

• Angel19819 published 14/06/2017