Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Cleanser

Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Cleanser

Removes trapped dirt and oil to help clear and prevent blackheads.

Review of "Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Cleanser"

published 01/11/2005 | daisydaisym
Member since : 10/09/2005
Pro Really does seem to work, not too drying on skin
Cons Leaves the cotton wool looking
How does it affect your skin?
Does it dehydrate your skin?

"Does exactly what it says on the tin (bottle)"

Working in a rather dusty bookshop right near a train station, and busy main road, in the heart of the city, I am always on the lookout for a good cleanser that will actually make me feel clean at the end of the day. My complexion overall isn't too bad, but I have always had a problem with blackheads (who doesn't - actually, I don't want to know that, I'd be too jealous!), and working in a dusty environment definately doesn't help.

I am often quite wary of products like this, as although my skin is on the greasy side, it can also be quite sensitive, and so anything astringent always seems to do more harm than good, but browsing through Boots a few weeks ago I came across this and thought I'd give it a go. I have tried many other products with little or no success, but you never stop hoping do you?

THE PRODUCT

The first thing you notice is that the bottle is purple - clear, you can see the contents inside, but purple - just like other Clean and Clear products. It has a flip top lid which I found very easy and convinient to use - no having to fumble around trying to screw a lid back on whilst holding wads of cotton wool. I'm pretty clumsy so anything that I can't close easily tends to get spilt!

The bottle contains 200ml, and the full list of ingredients are listed on the label on the back, along with instructions for use, and Johnson and Johnson's (the maker of Clean and Clear) contact details. One thing to note is that this does contain alcohol, so probably not great for really sensitive skin.

I have to admit that until I read this bottle, I hadn't realised that Clean and Clear were a Johnson and Johnson brand, but this gave me more confidence in the product, as they are a company I generally tend to trust.

When you open the bottle you can smell the cleanser, although not completely overwhelming it is fairly strong, and not altogether pleasant, but not enough to put me off, and no worse than many other cleanser or toner products I've used. I found that once I had applied the cleanser I no longer noticed the smell, it didn't seem tolinger on me.

To use this product, you need to pour the cleanser onto some cotton wool. It is a watery thin clear liquid and a little goes a long way so don't be over eager with your pouring, just make sure the cotton wool is wet enough to glide easily over your skin. As I have mentioned the smell is a bit strong, and pouring too much on may have your eyes watering! As I wipe the cotton wool over my face my skin starts tingling - but not in a bad way. It immediately feels cleaner and fresher. The tingling sensation is mentioned on the bottle - apparently 'it tells you your skin has been thoroughly cleansed'.

BUT DOES IT DO WHAT IT CLAIMS?

On the labels the bottle claims that it:

Removes trapped dirt and oil to help clear and prevent blackheads

Leaves your skin feeling clean clear and refreshed.

Well in my opinion it works on both counts!

What I really like about this product is that it really does remove all the dirt, but also refreshes your skin like a toner. Without being too disgusting you can see from the cotton wool colour change just how much dirt is coming off. It is astringent, so only use as much as you need, and I wouldn't recommend using a seperate toner afterwards - having said that I have had no reaction to the product as I have with others, and I find that as long as I'm careful with how I use it my skin stays soft and not dry. It did take me a while to judge the right amount to use for me, but now I have I have no problems with it at all.

But even better, it really does seem to tackle the blackheads!!! (Miracle!) With regular use my skin is noticably clearer, however you do need to use this regularly. Don't just stop using this once your skin seems clear - this product is designed to also help prevent blackheads, not just clear them, and if you go back to another cleanser you may find them quickly re-appearing. I use this every evening, and use another simialr, but foaming product in the shower in the mornings, but I was using this and noticed a definate improvemnt before I began using the other product, so I attribute the main change to this!

This isn't just a quick fix, you need to use this for about a week, regularly before you notice a big difference, but stick with it, cos it really has worked for me!

PRICE AND AVAILABILITY

On Boots website at the mo (01.11.05) this is priced at £2.29, but is also in the 3 for 2 range, although I'm not sure if this extends to stores.

Prices elsewhere seem to very, but mine set me back roughly £3 at the time of purchase. Worth the money whatever the price, but check between Boots and Superdrug if you get the chance, and you might pick up a bargian!

• Lynzie published 09/11/2005
    Good review, I have used this before and it is really good . Lynz xx
  • Newboy3 published 05/11/2005
    An excellent review written in a 'clean and clear' style. Tony
  • blonde_girl774 published 02/11/2005
    I used this when I was younger until it started to sting my skin upon application. Sam

offers "Clean & Clear Blackhead Clearing Cleanser"