Review of "Clinique Cherry Pop Lip"

published 21/04/2017 | justarube
Member since : 09/04/2014
Hi, I enjoy writing and reading reviews. Thanks for your rates and comments. xx
Pro Lovely formula, attractive shade.
Cons None.

"Cherry Lips!"

Clinique Cherry Pop Lip

Clinique Cherry Pop Lip

Introduction

I don't normally use the Clinique brand as I find them rather expensive. I occasionally treat myself to one or two items when there is a special offer. I got this particular lipstick as a gift from a family member. I was very pleased to have received a gift like this as I think of the Clinique brand as being fairly exclusive and high quality.

Clinique Pop

This lipstick is part of a range called 'Clinique Pop Lip Colour and Primer'. There are 24 colours available from Clinique's online shop. The shades are diverse and include reds, pinks, purples, oranges, pinks and browns.

The brand state this lipstick provides a "demi-matte" finish and that it has a "weightless formula" which includes a "smoothing primer". They promise that the lipstick provides hydration of up to 8 hours. All the lipsticks in the range are allergy tested and completely fragrance free. I can confirm that the lipstick has no scent at all. Sometimes when products are described as 'fragrance free' they tend to have a weird and very mild natural mushroom-like scent that perhaps isn't very pleasant but this lipstick is completely fresh.

The Tube

The lipstick I have is .08 OZ or 2.3g. It appears to be a mini version of the lipstick and it is very petite. The tube or case is lightweight and despite it being so small it is fairly easy to find inside a messy handbag because of the shape. The tube has a rectangular shape with slick pointed edges so I can always feel it very easily in my handbag even without looking.

The case looks very chic and sophisticated. It's a design I think might appeal to the professional or mature woman. The base of the case is red whilst the top is silver and embossed with the brand logo on one edge. The silver section is so reflective that it actually can be used like a mirror although I don't think this is what Clinique intended when they designed this case.

Inside the case the lipstick is encased in a silver rod. The lipstick can be extended by twisting the red base. I find that the mechanism works well. I don't need to twist the base very much to raise the lipstick.
The Shade

This shade is called "Cherry Pop". All of the colours in the range actually have the word 'Pop' after their colour descriptor. Cherry is described as being part of the "Tawnies [and] Corals". It's not quite a pure red and has a strong pink undertone. At first glance when painted onto the lips it might appear bright red but when compared to other lip colours it is quite obviously tinged with a rose pink shade.

This is a bold shade and not for shrinking violets. This is a lip colour for those who like to look as though they have a full face of make-up. The colour is one of confidence and it is also sexy and playful. It's a very feminine and modern shade perfect for urban landscapes. I think it is a colour suitable for both day wear and night time occasions. It is certainly suitable for the party scene as it makes lips pop right out and look alluring and sensual.
Using The Lipstick

I said before that my lipstick looks like a mini version and I believe that you may be able to get a larger version of this from Clinique. This small lipstick is rather thin and dainty. When I apply it I am afraid of using too much pressure as I am unsure if the stick would snap off at the base. The size of the lipstick doesn't really cause any issues in regards to being able to cover my whole lip as I'm applying. The smaller head on the lipstick actually makes it easier to get into the corners and up into the arches of my lips. Where the lips are wider I find I need to fill in a few spots just to get the coverage more even. In general though the application is very easy and straightforward. I don't feel that I need to use a lipstick brush for this but the creamy texture of the lipstick means that if this is your preferred method it would be quite simple to transfer the lipstick onto a brush then onto your lips.

The lipstick has a delightful consistency. The primer in the formula seems to smooth and soothe the lips but it does not allow the lipstick to melt onto the skin. It sits upon the lips really well and it does not wipe off with movement of the lips or a lick of the tongue. It does transfer onto things like cups and cutlery but this is true of most lipsticks. In general the lipstick is long lasting and doesn't need to be reapplied very often. I haven't actually tested whether the lipstick gives up to 8 hours of moisturisation since I have always eaten or drank at some point and then refreshed my application. However, I can attest that my lips feel really protected and hydrated the whole time I'm wearing the colour. I do suffer from dry lips and always use a lip balm. I often find I'm unable to wear some lipsticks as they are too drying. This lipstick is not drying at all and when I wear it my lips feel softened and protected just as if I was actually using a lip balm. I find that after a whole day of wearing this lipstick that my lips are in really good condition. The formula is very kind to the skin on my lips and I do not suffer from cracking or dryness once the lipstick has been removed. The formula feels light and non sticky.

It is very easy to remove the lipstick. I find wiping it off with a cotton pad which has been soaked with make-up remover is the best option. The lipstick doesn't leave any staining or residue.

Price and Availability

My mother kindly left the price tag on her gift to let me know how much she cares and the price is marked as £7 RRP reduced to £5. She made the purchase at a discount shopping outlet which may explain the price. The Clinique website offer these lipsticks for £16 and I assume these are full sized versions. I would definitely consider purchasing one of these lipsticks in the future even though they are slightly more expensive than my usual brands. I think it is a great quality lipstick that looks good and feels good. I would also recommend this as a gift purchase since the brand is very prestigious and the quality of the product is impressive.

• missrarr published 30/04/2017
    Great job. I'll be reviewing this soon hopefully and I think you're absolutely accurate.
  • torr published 25/04/2017