Clinique Color Surge Eyeshadow Duo

Review of "Clinique Color Surge Eyeshadow Duo"

published 29/11/2009 | GemmaC25
Member since : 09/01/2009
Pro A lovely creamy eye shadow which lasts all day.
Cons The price! But you will always find these cheaper on eBay.
Ease of Application
Waterproof?
Does it irritate your eyes?

"Creamy and Intense colour from Clinique."

Clinique Color Surge Eyeshadow Duo

My love of the Clinique Colour Surge eye shadow duo's came about purely by Clinique often popping an eye shadow into their famous free gifts. Seeing as I often only buy the things I use from Clinique when they have a free gift on, I've ended up with quite a few of their eye shadows over time. Before this I was quite happy using any old eye shadow from brands such as Rimmel or Maybelline, believing that a bit of 'colour' on my eye lids was all that was needed. I didn't realise the quality of these brands was rather poor until trying Clinique.

Clinique Eye Shadow

When looking at Clinique's eye shadow range you will see they come in all shapes and sizes, with the Duo being just one. You can also get a Trio of eye shadows, or a Quad, or you can stick to just a solo shadow on its own. I love the duo ones as they tend to have a small darker shade and a larger bright shade in each 'shade.' The 2 shades will match together nicely, meaning you can have a darker shade for your lids, blending out nicely into a lighter shade.

You won't find any bright and colourful shades here. I'm thinking of the eye shadows that Urban Decay do or the huge MAC range. The Clinique eye shadows are more suitable for everyday wear; I mean who wants to wear bright greens and purples on your average day in the office? That being said depending on how you apply your eye shadow, quite a few of the ranges would also be excellent for the evening if you apply them more heavily, you just have to flick through the shades to find the one you're looking for.

A thing I love about the Clinique eye shadows is that they all come with an applicator, and it's not a cheap and nasty one hastily thrown in. It's an excellent quality applicator, and comes with a soft sponge applicator and a small brush. I've found when using an eye shadow trio from Rimmel for example, the applicator sponge brush that came with it was just awful, and I had to use a separate brush. This is not the case with the Clinique applicators as they genuinely do a great job of blending in the eye shadow.

So, is it any good?

The eye shadow itself is brilliant, and you are certainly getting what you paid for with these. The colour goes on my eyelids instantly in one stroke, I found with Rimmel eye shadows I can be applying coat after coat and it still barely looks as if there's any colour there! This isn't the case with the Clinique eye shadows which are just so easy to apply. The applicator supplied with the eye shadow makes blending in the two colours so simple, and the overall finish looks great. The eye shadow once applied is really light weight, despite it being nice and creamy, and most importantly it won't crease during the day. I find that my eye shadow lasts all day, it doesn't smudge, crease or move, and it stays looking just as good as when I first applied it in the morning. I love to use the darker shade on my lids and sometimes as a gentle liner on my bottom eye lid to give a more striking effect. I apply the lighter shade from the eye lid to brow bone, making sure I blend it in nicely. You can build up the intensity of the colour if you want something more bold, and the colour pigment of this eye shadow shows really well, it's easy to see how high quality it really is.

Expensive but....

The eye shadow duo's will set you back £18, which is expensive for 2 eye shadows but worth every single penny. My Rimmel eye shadows now lay forgotten, in comparison they are terrible and not worth the money at all.
If you don't want to spend £18 I would highly recommend checking out eBay, because Clinique gave away free eye shadows all the time in their free gifts you will often get one much cheaper on eBay. For example search for the Strawberry Fudge shade and you'll find many at a much cheaper price.
The eye shadows last a long time too, I use the ones that come free and they've lasted me a long time and keep me going till the next free gift!

Overall a superb eye shadow that lasts all day and gives a creamy and intense colour. If you're unhappy with your current eye shadow not lasting all day or not giving off enough colour then give this one a try, pop along to your Clinique counter and see for yourself or buy one for cheaper than RRP off eBay.

• flyingllamas published 01/12/2009
    Well reviewed.
  • paulpry118 published 30/11/2009
    That is rather expensive
  • catsholiday published 29/11/2009
    My wealthy sister always uses Clinique !