Clinique Even Better Make-up SPF 15

Clinique Even Better Make-up SPF 15

Foundation, All Purpose Make-up

Review of "Clinique Even Better Make-up SPF 15"

published 17/05/2011 | GlitterFreak
Member since : 27/03/2011
Pro Everything
Cons The price. I'm a cheapskate
Length of Coverage
Ease of Removal
Visibility

"Clinique Even Better Foundation - My skin looks even better"

I have dry combination skin, with very sensitive dry cheeks and a noticably oily T-zone, so as you can imagine, I find it very difficult to find the "perfect" make up for this. I rarely have skin problems and, when I do, I pay little heed to them. The main reason I bother with foundation is that my skin tone is very irregular: I have red cheeks, yellow chin, purple near my eyes. I need a foundation to even out my complexion! My best-for-now foundation was Max Factor's Miracle Touch foundation, but recently I've found it's become really incompatible with my skin type (my T-zone is still shiny, my cheeks are still flaky) and I realised that Max Factor tested on animals. So what's an over-fussy girl to do?

I've tried three foundations in my "quest" - as it were - to find my perfect foundation without worrying about the ethics of animal testing. I've tried MAC in both Select, and Face and Body, but this one was definitely a winner for me. I got shaded as a N1/NW15 at MAC, so I was recommended a very fair foundation with pink undertones as the problems I had with previous foundations was they made me look yellow or orange. After reading about Clinique's "Even Better" foundation being suitable for combination/oily skin because of the lightweight formula, I thought I'd give it a go.

In fact, it was a sheer coincidence I thought of Clinique as I had a sample of the Moisture Surge tinted moisturiser in this month's issue of Glamour. I tried it on, loved the feel and consistency, however I didn't like the shade. I had foundation lines all over the place once I was in natural lighting. However, the blending was good and the smell was pleasant, unlike a lot of foundations, so I thought I'd go get colour matched at a Clinique stall.

I was shaded as the palest one, Shade 01, for the tinted moisturiser. I applied it on my hand to try the oxidisation test and then went to the counter to ask to be shade tested for Even Better. Not only was I tested, I had a full face put on! Unfortunately, as my shade wasn't available in a tester, they had to open a new bottle. Sorry, Clinique!

I got shaded for Alabaster and to tell you the truth, it looked amazing. Before I was done up, the SA applied some Clinique Dramatically Different moisturising lotion on my dry patches to "even" the texture of my skin and I was good to go. When she was done, I had a look in the mirror and I was so surprised. Most foundations make me look ill or lifeless, but this made me look radiant! I looked like myself, but better, rather than like I was wearing a mask of make up. I also had the blusher in Aglow swept on my cheeks, which looked lovely, but I wasn't as sold. My redness had instantly disappeared and my T-zone looked purified and refreshed (finally).

Sadly I couldn't buy it then and there as I'm a cheapskate student. However, my lovely boyfriend has promised to get it for me as a birthday gift and has said I looked beautiful with it on!

I would also like to add that this foundation is surprisingly durable. My boyfriend is very affectionate and likes to lick my face (don't ask) and, whereas most foundations would have been slicked off immediately, the Clinique Even Better didn't even budge! This is something that really impressed me as I always look shiny in photographs after being out in the cold/humid air for even a few minutes, so I wonder how this will stand against the cameras.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone with my skin type and I bought a small bottle of the lotion on eBay as the perfect base. I'm converted, so I suggest you should give it a try too!

P.S. Unless you have fair-medium skin, I wouldn't recommend the Moisture Surge! Three hours after I applied the tinted moisturiser on the back of my hand, it oxidised quite obviously. English Roses, or those just as pale, should stay clear of this one until they introduce more shades.

• Jadey-Jade published 28/09/2012
    After trying the Even Better concealer I took the plunge for this as well. Out of curiosity tried a tiny bit when I got home, and love it, couldn't stop looking in the mirrow. Well done Clinique !
  • JAVER1967 published 17/05/2011