Clydesdale Bank

Clydesdale Bank

Review of "Clydesdale Bank"

published 22/10/2007 | ScottishWestie
Competitiveness of charges/rates
Staff courtesy
Promptness of service
Online - Content/organization of site

"Loyal customers means nothing to this bank"

I have been with the Clydesdale bank since I was at school in the early 1970s, the word 'loyal customer' obviously doesn't mean anything whatsoever to a bank. My current account last year earned me a huge 12p of interest after tax!! That is after paying my wages into this account every month & keeping about £1000 of emergency cash in the account all the time.
I recently moved to the Bank of Scotland who is paying over 6% gross for the same type of account & the Clydesdale contacted me wondering why I left!!!!

The Clydesdale bank have closed so many branches in recent years, closed their ATMs & closed their customer information counters so you now need to queue up for about 20 minutes to ask a simple question to a teller.
When you eventually reach the teller they are more interested in asking you if you want a loan or mortgage or both than to deal with your problem. Their ATMs were constantly empty & never topped up for days.

On one occasion they messed up on one of my three monthly statements, they would only look at the problem with the understanding that I would be charged for the enquiry unless it was found to be their mistake!!! Luckily it was, but what an attitude. Can you imagine asking your local Asda store to recheck the receipt they have just given you as you think you have been overcharged 81p & be told that they would charge you for the privilege!!

On another occasion I asked to withdraw £200 from a Clydesdale cash machine & received £100. You can imagine the whole process to prove I was cheated out of £100 took months & the bank officially telling me that it wasn't their problem. This was despite a national TV programme stating how big this problem actually was at the time.

Don't even think about speaking to a branch manager by phone, it is impossible & in person, very unlikely. Their aftersales service is rubbish; they make it feel they are doing you the favour, not the other way round.
I have looked at their mortgages, loans, credit cards etc & they are no where near as competitive as the competition.

The answer was to dump them & go elsewhere, that process of changing bank accounts should have taken no longer than 30 days, but Clydesdale dragged it through to 45 days causing me many problems along the way.

• Gladiator007 published 01/05/2009
    very informative review..thanks for sharing..:)
  • Bens__mummy published 22/10/2007