Mickie26 5

Mickie26

About me: Is it just me or has Ciao lost the community feel it used to have?

Member since:11.01.2003

Co codamol Effective Pain Relief

14.03.2005 Diamond review

Advantages:
Gets rid of pain

Disadvantages:
Addictive

Side effects

Effectiveness

PriceBetween 1 and 2 pounds

54 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. stepho222
  2. sables666
  3. Majiggy
  1. marymoose99
  2. salem_witch
  3. L0BSTER_QUADRILLE

I have been taking Co Codamol as pain relief for about two years now. It is the only pain relief that really works for me. It is a general all over good pain relief. For me personally I take it for period pains, migraines and joint pains. It gets to work like no other pain killers do. I have tried pain killers such as annadin extra’s or paracetamol, but it is the combined medication of paracetamol and codeine that I need.

The only draw back is that co codamol is addictive so I try to limit my use of them. I usually take 2 tablets a day unless the pain is really severe which is usually is during my periods. Some days I do not take any co codamol so I am definitely not addicted and would stop my use if I felt I was becoming addicted to them. However I do know of people who have become addicted to codeine so it is important to remember that they are addictive.

I have tried other pain relief, but nothing works as well for me as co codamol. I have these prescribed for me, but if you want a weaker dose then you can buy them across the counter. This might be more convenient for you as you don’t have to wait to see a doctor.

The codeine that is found in co codamol can also be found in other similar drugs like codydramol and coproxamol. It might be that one of these tablets are more suitable for you.

When I first started taking co codamol it used to make me sick. Sometimes I would actually be physically sick or I would just feel sick. Another thing I felt was dizziness, but now that has worn off and I am used to the side effects. What I used to do when I got the side effects was to take codydramol and this worked just as well only I didn't get any side effects. They use slightly different combinations of drugs in the different alternatives, but they all do contain codeine.

The other thing about co codamol is that it makes you feel drowsy now that can be a good thing if you are in lots of pain because you can just sleep it off. Sometimes that is what I do and I also find that a hot water bottle helps to soothe my pain. However, if you are out and about it can sometimes be a bad thing to get drowsy as you may nod off. Also you should not take codeine and drive for the very reason that you might fall asleep at the driving wheel. I actually like the drowsy feeling I get with co codamol because it makes me feel more relaxed, but that is where the addiction can come in so you do have to be careful. Remember to moderate your dose. When I am in severe pain I usually take 2 tablets every 4 hours and that helps a lot.

Also co codamol can make you constipated. Now I know this isn't a nice subject to talk about, but it is one of the unfortunate side effects of this tablet and it is something you should be aware of especially if you are taking these a lot. Co codamol have been used in the treatment of diarrhoea so that should help you understand the constipating action of these tablets. You will need a good laxative to counter act the constipation caused by these tablets.

As you can see there are side effects and there are pros and cons to taking these tablets. However for me the pros outweigh the cons because my pain gets very severe and I need a strong pain killer. It is miserable being in pain all the time it really can spoil your enjoyment of life. That is why for me these tablets are sometimes the only thing I can take to live a less painful life.

Also you should take note that if you are pregnant then you should not take co codamol or indeed anything that contains codeine because this can cause side effects to your new born baby who can become dependant on them. It is like with alcohol, smoking or other drug taking whilst pregnant a caring individual would not put their baby through that.

Co codamol is used to treat moderate to severe pain. Codeine is a member of the drug class opiates and was first discovered as a natural constituent of opium in very small concentrations, in the range of 0.7% - 2.5% by weight. Co-codamol works by binding to opioid receptors in the brain and spinal cord, and acetaminophen decreases the formation of prostaglandin’s, therefore relieving pain.

Co codamol is taken orally with or after food. As with all drugs it has side effects, but if you are worried about anything then you need to consult your doctor. Also in certain illnesses you should not take co codamol again if you are unsure then you need to consult your doctor as codeine is not suitable for everybody. Your doctor should be able to tell you if it is suited to you.

Co-Codamol is a combination of Codeine Phosphate and Paracetamol. There are two strengths of Co-Codamol. Each contains 500mg of Paracetamol. This is the normal size of Paracetamol.

One strength of Co-Codamol contains 8mg of Codeine Phosphate and the other contains 30mg of Codeine Phosphate. Hence the two strengths Co-Codamol 8/500 and Co-Codamol 30/500.

It is important that you do not take more than two tablets at any one time and that you do not take more than eight tablets in 24 hours. Also do not take ordinary paracetamol with co codamol as it will be an overdose.

Co codamol can be bought fairly cheaply across the counter in your local pharmacy or supermarket like Asda's. The stronger dose is only available on prescription. As I have made you aware there are side effects so you need to weigh up the pro's and cons before taking any codeine form. Are your symptoms severe enough to require codeine? Are there any other pain killers that could work better for you? Ask yourself these questions and most of all if you decide that co codamol is the answer for your pain then remember that they are addictive and don't just take them for the sake of taking them. Only take them when the pain is that severe that nothing else will work. This has helped me not to get addicted to them because it is so easy to just take them for the effect that they have on you. Some days I just put up with the pain.

I hope that this has helped you into making a decision whether co codamol is suited to you or not. Thanks for reading.

stepho222 30.12.2005 17:37

i use to take co codamol for pain relief until i was in hosp and they gave me and it made my heart go faster then it should have it really scared me so i wont be taking them again stephaniexx

L0BSTER_QUADRILLE 26.08.2005 20:37

I'm reading this, while taking co-codamol :)

armychick 01.08.2005 18:11

I fiund this very effective too! n