Colgate Duraphat Fluoride Toothpaste

Colgate Duraphat Fluoride Toothpaste

Fluoride

Review of "Colgate Duraphat Fluoride Toothpaste"

published 16/03/2012 | angelboouk123
Member since : 01/06/2010
Busy working Mum to two boys and married to the love of my life <3
Pro protection for my teeth, nice foam
Cons doesn't make my mouth feel clean, prescription only
How do you like the taste?
Whitening effect

"Healthy Teeth But Lacks Freshness!"

Duraphat Toothpaste

Colgate offer a huge range of dental products designed to keep your teeth in good condition.

The Duraphat Fluoride Toothpaste is a prescription only toothpaste. The toothpaste I have contains 5000ppm of fluoride which is equal to 5mg of sodium fluoride per 1g of toothpaste. This toothpaste is suitable for adults over the age of 16 and is not recommended for use by those who are pregnant or breastfeeding. Do not use any other fluoride products whilst using this toothpaste.

Duraphat has a higher fluoride content than regular toothpaste and designed for those who need a little extra help when it comes to dental care. Using twice a day has been proven to improve teeth and issues caused by tooth decay.

The toothpaste is presented in a basic box and an information leaflet is provided. The tube itself is 51g in weight and is white with red and blue writing. There is a screw off cap.

Duraphat needs to be prescribed by your dentist.

My Thoughts

I have had my fair share of dental problems over the past few years. I avoided the dentist like the plague and suffer for it now. When I finally got signed up to a new dentist last year, I got a lot of work done. At the end of one appointment, my dentist gave me a prescription for a higher fluoride toothpaste and this is how I came to use Duraphat.

I used this over the course of 2 months on a twice daily basis. The packaging is nothing fancy and doesn't have the same advertising appeal as other Colgate products. I personally prefer a flip top lid but the cap is fine. The tube is smaller than regular toothpastes on the market but does last well. I have used my tube up and whilst this toothpaste is good, I have moved on to a different toothpaste which is more readily available.

Using this toothpaste is very easy so I won't insult you by doing a step by step list. The toothpaste itself is quite thick and slips out the tube easily. The toothpaste is blue and has a gel like appearance. Once I start brushing my teeth, the gel starts to foam up but I do not feel there is as much foam and cleaning action as with a regular toothpaste. After brushing for 2 minutes, I am always careful to spit the foam out as swallowing the additional fluoride could cause issues.

One thing I wasn't keen on was how my mouth felt after brushing. I like my mouth to feel fresh and clean but this toothpaste is simply too 'gentle' to give a deep clean feeling. The minty taste is quite a subtle spearmint flavour but it doesn't last and doesn't make my teeth feel tingly fresh. Appearance wise, my teeth do look cleaner after use and any light stains are removed but it isn't a miracle toothpaste.

I can only assume my dentist prescribed this as a way to protect my teeth but it would have been good to have the fresh feeling, long lasting mint flavour and protection. I have finished most of my treatment (except for broken teeth to be removed) and haven't had much issues with my teeth since my last visit to the dentist before Christmas. My teeth are more healthy and I believe they are in a stronger condition that they previously were.

Overall this is a decent toothpaste to use but I would only use if it was prescribed to me and recommended by my dentist. It does protect my teeth but I don't see why I can't get the same protection from regular brushing with regular toothpaste and a good oral hygeine routine.

4 stars.

Thanks for reading :)

• greenierexyboy published 29/03/2012
    Once you get to my age and you have no remaining taste buds whether it works overrides everything.
  • Amazingwoo published 29/03/2012
    I had to use this many years back - I'd broken my jaw and briefly had to have my jaws wired together, and the metal clamps were fixed to 4 teeth with dental filler. Of course, when the filler is removed, it damages the teeth and leaves them SO sensitive (great!), but after using this paste, you'd never know what they'd had done to them and zero sensitivity. Great stuff.
  • Coloneljohn published 28/03/2012