Review of "Colgate MaxWhite with White Micro Crystals"

published 30/03/2012 | gothic_moon
Member since : 23/09/2005
Temporarily away for more surgery. Don't miss me too much for a couple of weeks! www.invisiblyme.com // facebook.com/invisiblymeblog
Pro Leaves teeth & mouth feeling clean and fresh, minty taste not too strong, can be found for £1
Cons Doesn't whiten, or restore whiteness, of my teeth
How do you like the taste?
Whitening effect

"Max Clean, Not Max White"

I like to change my toothpaste brands every now and then when something is on offer. Colgate is one that I often try and if it says it helps with whitening I’m even more tempted; whilst this doesn’t work miracles (but, really, what does?) it’s pleasant enough to use, just don’t buy it for the sole sake of trying to whiten teeth because you’ll more than likely be disappointed.

Colgate is a very popular brand with an ever-expanding range of oral care goodies. They’re a leader in this area and I trust them to have at least safe and effective products at keeping your mouth healthy, even though I don’t always buy in to the whitening elements.

Their Max White with Micro-Crystals comes boxed, inside which is a white squeezy tube with the red strip across the front clearly telling us this is made by the Colgate brand. It claims to release whitening powder whilst the small crystals dissolve as you brush. Why? In order to : ‘Restore natural whiteness’, fight cavities and freshen breath. It’s what most toothpastes claim to do with the added benefit of whitening, but it’s more so the micro-crystals that tend to set this apart from other similar products.

It’s designed to be used as a regular toothpaste, so adults would use a normal amount twice daily and children under 6 should use a pea-sized amount. This comes out looking almost like a clear gel but with white/silvery bits in it that actually seem quite large as opposed to minute crystals. It smells refreshingly minty as expected.

When using, this lathers fairly well and does seem to provide a good all-round clean. I’d say that after using, my teeth do feel clean and scrubbed, whilst my mouth feels fresh and minty. I’m not sure how safe micro-crystals are on enamel because to me, I would have thought they’d be quite abrasive. I trust Colgate to have tried and tested their products and they pass standard regulations, but I’d still be a bit weary of scrubbing too hard or using if you know you have quite weak or damaged enamel.

As for the whitening, I’ve not noticed any difference. It does say it restores to ‘natural’ whiteness, but I’ve not found that either. To be honest, I’m not surprised and I’m not really even disappointed because I wasn’t expecting it to really work. I do like how the toothpaste made my teeth feel so I would buy again at £1. At nearly £2.50, however, I wouldn’t buy this because it basically does what many toothpastes do that you can get for £1 (ie. a reputable brand name that leaves teeth and mouth feeling clean and fresh).

100ml sells for £2.45 (Boots) but they can often be spotted on sale or in Poundland for a bargain.

Overall... A good way to clean but not to whiten teeth.
[Also reviewed by me, Cazkins, on DooYoo]