Colgate Total Professional Weekly Clean

Colgate Total Professional Weekly Clean

Toothpaste

Review of "Colgate Total Professional Weekly Clean"

published 14/07/2008 | Catw0man
Member since : 20/01/2003
Pro Great way of getting a really good clean with low cost and effort
Cons Dry mouth
How do you like the taste?
Whitening effect

"A great big confident smile"

Deep Cleaning at Home

In the run up to my wedding back in March I obviously wanted to look my best in every respect. While I don't have bad teeth I have always been a little self conscious about how white they are, I knew I would be smiling lots on the big day, so it was important to me that my teeth were at their best. I've always looked after my teeth with regular brushing, but I wanted something a little bit extra, without going to the expense of going to the dentist. I saw this Colgate Total Professional Weekly Clean on special in Superdrug, and I thought I would give it a go.

The Packaging

The product comes in a box, which is rather large in proportion to the tube inside, and it has a clear window showing the end of the tube. The details on the outside of the box let you know that it contains a 'concentrated cleaning formula' that is used by professional dentists that you can use at home on a weekly basis to give you great cleaning results. The formula is prophy-silica which apparently disperses throughout your mouth cleaning in all the hard-to-reach places. The tube contains enough for 6 weeks of cleaning and it also states that it does not replace the need for regular dentist check-ups.

The Toothpaste

On opening the box, the tube appears very small, 20ml in size, but if you are only using it once a week, then I suppose there is plenty for 6 uses. The gel itself is white in colour with little gritty bits in it - which I assume must be part of the special formula. The smell is very strong mint, and the taste definitely matches the smell.

How to use

You have to brush your teeth with your normal toothpaste first before using this special gel. Once you are done you have to use a good amount of this on your brush, and then really work it in for 3 minutes. I found that it gets really quite foamy and it really does feel like it is working. You can feel it getting into all the bits that you can't reach with your brush, which is one of the claims made on the box.

How it Works

It contain Sodium Fluoride which binds to tooth enamel making it stronger, it binds natural calcium to weak spots in the teeth making them stronger and less prone to decay and fights bacteria. Perlite and Hydrated Silica are the two polishing silicas used in the special formula to polish and whiten teeth.

My Experience

I quite enjoy using this in addition to my regular brushing, it really does feel like it is cleaning all surfaces of your teeth, even if you are not directly touching them with the toothbrush. The very strong taste does leave your mouth feeling very clean, however when I used this before bed time I found that my mouth was very dry in the morning, so I would recommend using it in the morning rather than night-time. Your teeth really do feel very clean after brushing, like after having them done professionally.
And as for my teeth at the wedding, well I was very impressed, I felt that they were brighter and whiter than normal and I had the confidence to smile and really show off my teeth.

Thanks for reading :o)