Colron Wax Repair Sticks

Colron Wax Repair Sticks

Wax/Polish

Review of "Colron Wax Repair Sticks"

published 19/08/2017 | 2mennycds
Member since : 28/08/2015
Strange being "the new boy" in the workplace at the ripe age of 60, a lot of stuff to take on board, but should be fine. Haven't yet introduced my new colleagues to my jokes and dreadful puns. Nice to leave home at 9.30 a.m and land home at 3.30 p.m!
Good
Pro Good smoothing/filling properties
Cons Limited effectiveness on stained/dyed wood
Drying Time Duration

"De-Colron-ron-ron, de Col-ron-ron..."

Wax repair sticks versus Colron soft wax polish

Wax repair sticks versus Colron soft wax polish

Be honest, we’d all like to shell out a tenner or so for a product that, with a single application, will make a battered piece of furniture look like new, or, a little more realistically, restore a loved but scratched table or chest of drawers to near-pristine condition with the same ease.

Is this what we have here?

Description

The product comes in a blister pack of three wax sticks of approximate dimensions 7.5 cm x 1 cm x 1 cm. The sticks are of three shades that correspond roughly the same shades as commonly available brown shoe polishes; light, medium, and dark.

The wax is fairly hard, similar consistency to candle wax.

The pack also comes with a spatula. The purpose of this is to shave small pieces of wax from the sticks, and, if need be, to blend shavings from more than one stick to optimise colour match with the surface to be treated.

Ingredients

“Colron Wax Repair Sticks contain a special blend of soft waxes, including beeswax…” is the only statement on the packaging. Beeswax is an effective restorative and maintenance ingredient for wood.

The sticks weigh a total of 24 grams. Whilst not cheap, there's a lot of wax here, given that it's for scratch repair!

Directions

The packaging advises the following:

1 Shave off small pieces of the wax with the spatula provided
2 If matching to a specific colour, blend the shavings from any of the three sticks on a suitable non-porous surface
3 Press the required amount of wax gently into the area needing repair
4 Alternatively, apply a Colron Wax Repair Stick of the desired colour directly to the area
5 Buff off any excess wax with a soft cloth to achieve a smooth finish

Warning

The packaging advises reading the label before use, keeping out of the reach of children, and having the product container/label at hand in the event of any medical advice.

As mentioned above, no list of ingredients is supplied; perhaps this omission indicates that the product is relatively safe – I don’t know, however, so don’t sue me if your mother-in-law or dog swallows some of it and needs medical intervention!

Claims

1 Repairs scratches & imperfections in wooden furniture
2 Can be mixed together to match colour of wood
3 Produces a smooth finish

In use by 2menny

~ ~ ~ ~ Project 1: “Antique pine” chest of drawers

We have some solid pine chests of drawers that we inherited from my mother-in-law. These pine items have been treated with an “antique pine” finish.

>>> I used the lightest-coloured wax stick for this, and rather than mess about with the spatula I contented myself with rubbing the stick at 90 degrees to the scratches, and rubbed it in circular motions over the larger gouges.

I left it for about 10-15 minutes then began to buff with a cloth.

>>>> Results: I was slightly disappointed, to be honest.

9/10 points for the “filling” and smoothing effect on the scratches and moderate gouges (hey, the stuff makes no claim to be a wood-filler, it won’t build up chipped moulding or beading to its former profile!)

5/10 for blending/hiding blemishes. I suspect that the product would perform far better on unstained (i.e. non-dyed) wood. The problem I was faced with was that the underlying wood is of a lighter colour than its finish. Even after several treatments, the blemishes were less obvious than they had been – but were still evident.

~ ~ ~ ~ Project 2: Oak bureau

We have a solid oak bureau that we inherited from my uncle’s aunt! It’s fairly old-fashioned, but then it’s probably at least 70 years old, and had a number of scratches and slight chips. It suffered further damage (along with a number of other items) at the hands of the removal company when we last moved house. I wouldn’t say they were a firm of cowboys, but instead of a van they had a mule-driven waggon, they wore Stetsons, spoke with a mid-west drawl, and toted Colt revolvers (not really!) Well, it seemed like that. I got some token redress after having a County Court summons served on them for negligence and breach of contract.

I digress, sorry…

>>> I experimented with the medium-brown wax stick, then opted for the dark brown one. I used the same technique as for the pine chest of drawers.

>>> Results were the same. 9/10 for the “filling”/”smoothing” effect, but only 5/10 for masking the blemishes.

In fairness, I think that this was also due to the wood being a lighter colour than that of the finish that had been applied. Even several treatments gave the same result: the blemishes were less obvious than they had been, but still evident.

I haven't included the"after treatment" photo I took, as the lighting made it look less satisfactory than it was - so it didn't seem fair.

2menny’s solution

~ ~ ~ ~ For the pine chests of drawers, I applied some Colron Beeswax soft polish tinted “antique pine”. Again, for the scratches I applied it with a white (so there was no colour to leach into the polish and onto the furniture), lint-free cloth from a supermarket (Wilko or Asda do their own, 2 cloths for £2.00). I’ve reviewed the “Medium Oak” shade of this product previously.

Again, I worked the polish at 90 degrees to the scratches to get optimum coverage, and rubbed in circular movements for larger blemishes. And, again, I left it for 10-15 minutes before buffing, again with a lint-free cloth. I repeated this several times, and the result was better than with the wax stick.

It wasn’t perfect, and it wouldn’t have filled in/smoothed the scratches. But, in my opinion, it gave better toning-down/blending in of scratches and gouges than the wax sticks achieved.

I think it only fair to say at this point that the soft beeswax gave a better coverage result than the sticks, DESPITE this not being the soft wax’s intended purpose and despite coverage ACTUALLY BEING the purpose of the sticks.

~ ~ ~ ~ For the oak bureau, I’m afraid I was too mean to shell out an extra tenner or so for a large tin of the Colron soft beeswax polish with “dark oak” tint. Instead I resorted to the old, tried and tested wax shoe polish remedy. By this I mean the old-fashioned stuff that comes in a tin and is fairly hard and solid. “Kiwi” used to be the leading brand when I was a child, replete with a picture of that curious bird on the lid.

I used the same method of applying it as for the soft beeswax on the chests of drawers, including leaving it for 10-15 minutes before buffing.

Again, it took several applications – but, again, the sticks hadn’t really performed that well, either, and the results were improved albeit only partially successful. But, again, I’d have to say that the coverage in a tin of £1 shoe polish gave better results than the special-purpose wax stick (of which the set of three costs £9 in Wilkos!)

Concluding comments

I can only rate Colron Wax Repair Sticks 3 stars. As mentioned above, I can well believe that they work well on blemishes on wood that hasn’t been given a different coloured finish. That’s the whole point, though. In my experience, they fill and smooth scratches and minor gouges but DON’T appear able to mask them in any other way.

Perhaps I expected too much, though I don’t think my expectations were unrealistic. I didn’t expect a miracle restoration. But nowhere does the packaging state that best results will be achieved when treating imperfections on unstained/undyed wood, and that mediocre results will ensue if applying the product to stained/dyed wood.

I think that the wax sticks are handy to have, but I have found them of limited benefit and, apart from the filling/smoothing benefits of the sticks, I’ve found a £1 tin of shoe polish to be effective at a fraction of the cost (over a number of years and on a dozen or more scratched pieces of furniture. Repeated applications of hard wax shoe polish will even go part way to filling or smoothing scratches.

Currently available from many outlets: Wilko £9.00, B&Q £9.27, Amazon £7.32, Homebase £10.99.