Come on Over - Shania Twain

Come on Over - Shania Twain

1 CD(s) - Country - Label: Mercury Nashville - Distributor: Universal Music - Released: 24/11/1997 - 731453600324

Review of "Come on Over - Shania Twain"

published 18/06/2005 | JeffreyB
Member since : 29/05/2004
Good
Pro convenient pop.country
Cons 1 or 2 dull tracks
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"TV Times."

***INTRO***

I bought my copy (CD) of Shania Twain Come On Over from Our Price Covent Garden in 2000, when CD's still had novelty value. It was the rather expensive £13.99. The issue was released on the international market on the 22/11/99. A pop/country mix of the original 1997 album. It was after catching her on TOTP with a feisty performance of "That Don't Impress Me Much".

***ABOUT SHANIA TWAIN***

Shania was born Ontario, Canada on 28/August/1965, married to John Lange. Lives in Switzerland. Find out more about Shania Twain on these websites :
www.shaniatwain.com , www.shania.org , www.shania.net .

***THE ALBUM***

The CD comes with a booklet outlining lyrics and essential details of musicians, art work, production and direction. The album is produced by John Lang for Mercury Records and Universal Music company. All music is written by Twain/Lange. Mastered in Nashville USA. Instruments on the album include : Drums, Electric & fretless Bass, Acoustic & Nylon string guitar, Rhythm and riff guitar, sitar, Acoustic piano, Organ, Wurlitzer, Mandolin, Accordian, Fiddle.

1. Your Still The One (3.33)
A piano and acoustic guitar piece, a love song.

2. When (3.38)
More of a rock orientated tune about luck.

3. From This moment On (4.52)
A slow piece with a more spiritual feel. A love song

4. Black Eyes, Blue Tears (3.37)
A rocky number, a song about self esteem.

5. I Won't Leave you Lonely (4.07)
Rhythmic piece, a love song about a night together.

6. I Holdin' On To love (To Save My Life) (3.27)
Rock/pop orientated tune, a love story.

7. Come On Over (2.54)
Slow & Melodic piece about an invite.

8. You've Got A Way (Notting Hill Remix) (3.25)
Light hearted rock orientated tune, gentle love song from the movie Notting Hill with Julie Roberts and Hugh Grant.

9. Whatever You Do! Don't (3.49)
A love song.

10. Man I Feel Like a Woman! (3.54)
High powered rock the second U.K single, possibly concerned with a night out and gender politics.

11. Love Get's Me Every Time (3.33)
Another rock and roll song, a love song as well.

12. Don't be stupid (You Know I Love You) (3.34)
Another rock song.

13. That Don't Impress Me much (UK Dance Mix) (3.59)
A very catchy tune and the 1st UK single.

14. Honey, I'm Home (3.34)
Catchy folk/rock sound about a return from work at the end of the day.

15. If You Wanna Touch Her, Ask ! (4.14)
A more laid back romantic song probably about love making.

16. Rock This Country (4.26)
Rock and roll probably about a tour.

***MY OPINION***

Personally I think Shania Twain is great and she has sung duet with Elton John. the tunes on this album are by no means her best, but do cover her early pieces released to the UK market. generally a blend of high powered pop/country with a rock feel. I never did see Notting Hill the movie but it must have helped sales of the CD. The 2 singles are great.

• pinkmatchstick published 04/04/2006
    well having Mutt Lange as your husband is a good way for getting your records made. I wonder if she would be as successful if not - I doubt it somehow.
  • zoobremia published 15/03/2006
    Hi, well, 1st my rating: I don't think, it's much opinion and experience in this for a vh ... 2nd: I don't like mixes, either the only known song in here won't be something for me, I hate that song, but a UK Dance Mix must be much more crazy than it was before ... 3rd: She's normally quiet okay, of course pretty :) and it's only that song I don't like and I know a few others, which are working fine for me ... Sorry, but only helpful ... Best regards, Sven (Zoobremia)
  • Ryan74 published 08/07/2005
    Never thought I would see the words 'gender politics' in a Shania Twain review.