Company

Review of "Company"

published 24/02/2002 | zoe_page
Member since : 08/07/2001
As seen on TV
Good
Pro ..
Cons ..
Quality of journalism
Quality of features
Price
Quantity of advertising

"Keeping Me Company"

I’d like to say it was the “Saucy Sealed Section” that caught my eye and persuaded me to buy the latest issue of Company, but truth be told it was the price. At £1.50 per 200 page monthly issue, it’s quite a bit less than my usual reads, and since I hadn’t looked at a copy since I was in our 6th form common room, I thought I’d give it a go. It’s a magazine marketed at people in their “freedom years” which I guess means anything up until you start settling down and having kids. Whatever their definition, I’m sure it applies to me somehow.

The magazine wasn’t a disappointment when I started to read. It had a good mix of investigative reporting, interviews with “real” people and lots more besides. I wouldn’t necessarily buy it every month, but it was a nice change from Real, More and Now. Anyway, I wanted to do this op in a different way, and for some reason, “stats” occurred to me as I was trundling down to London, so here goes. The latest issue of Company in mathematical format….

Number of free samples stuck inside the pages : a quite nice 3 – for foundation, hair gell and, finally, conditioner to go with all those free shampoo sachets they’ve been offering us for years

Number of “let’s all be happy with our bodies” statements : 3 or 4

Number of cosmetic surgeons advertised : 7. Oh dear in light of the
above.

Number of annoying leaflets that fall out the second you open the cover : only 3 – for books and loans, and a scratch card you can win a cheap necklace with if you’re lucky.

Number of pictures of celebs looking rougher than rough : too many to mention – Woo!

Number of badly written/ “as told to” real life stories : only 3, but then that’s their whole real life section really

Number of pages of adverts : 72, a whopping 35% of the magazine. (What? I was really bored and on a train for nearly 6 hours that day…)

Number of interesting articles : too many to mention but take my word for it, there is something to read even despite all the ads

Number of problem pages : 4 (!) covering sex, men, work and beauty

Number of A List Celeb interviews : 0

Number of Z List Celeb interviews : 2 : Sean Maguire and Christian Solimeno…..

Number of quizzes : 2 - how to find the perfect job, and can you take the blame?

Number of uncensored pictures of a willy : 8 - all bloody and several disfigured…..

Number of reasons why you should never give blow jobs again : 3 (quite a relief after the above)

Number of pages of fashion : over 30. Not good says she who never really buys things after having seen them in a magazine anyway.

Number of men related sex myths busted : 20 – everything from the fact that not all men want 3somes to not all of them being, ahem, morning people. Aha – the truth is out.

Number of times I regretted buying it : 0 Zero. Zilch. Nada. I mean sure, it’s hardly literature of a wonderfully engaging read, but for keeping you company (sic) on a 2 and a bit hour train journey, you could do a lot worse.

• Morgenhund published 27/02/2002
    I think the irreverent style of this op works well at dismissing a mag that seems to be drawer-lining quality! Mike
  • deano_76 published 24/02/2002
    Good op Zoe, rather enjoyed. DEANO!
  • tabyorky published 24/02/2002
    I used to get this magazine but then stopped buying after it a while.

offers "Company"