Compers News

Compers News

Review of "Compers News"

published 01/11/2002 | borntoloaf
Member since : 14/11/2001
Sorry got busy Bob the building at Loafland, drinking whisky, entering comps, loafing about.....normal service has resumed!
Pro very cheap full of competitions and helpful advice
Cons You may develop a competition addiction
Quality of journalism
Quality of features

"Keep cutting out those cereal boxes"

There’s nothing quite like the feeling of having the door bell ring and seeing the postie with a huge parcel. Well there is something, but this is a family site and I don’t want Mrs B finding out about that feeling!

OCH IT’S NO A SCOT’S FOOD OP CHRIS

As my fellow Ciaoers probably know by now, I’m a bit of a competition addict and the King of the Loafers. I’m completely addicted to online competitions and wanted an offline resource of competitions because Mrs B was beginning to complain that she rarely sees me. I was also looking to update my how to win section at www.borntoloaf.co.uk (shameless plug!).
So last year I was delighted to receive a free copy (read to the end to find out how to get yours) of Compers News and have been a fan since.

HERE’S THE RELEVANCE OF THE TITLE

This publication is jam packed with competitions. I particularly like the postcard competitions, but don’t like spending too much cash on postcards. I do buy some in multiples of 100 for £4 from a hospice to help their funds. These are really colourful and stand a better chance of being pulled from the hat. Their address and order details can be found on the how to win section of borntoloaf (ah, sorry, second shameless plug!). Otherwise, empty cereal boxes make great postcards and can be cut into various shapes. So, we’re a healthy lot in our household with regular bowels! Fortunately, we also get regular winnings!

IT DOES WHAT IT SAYS ON THE PACKET

What I love best about Compers News is that it is a no frills publication: it really is jam packed full of competitions or comping advice and fun. There are no adverts. It’s not the glossiest of publications, and this is not a fault, as its format is that of a newsletter; albeit over 20 pages. The paper and printing quality is still high and this helps keep the cost down. A year’s subscription will cost £39-96 (£3-33 an issue) or a two-year subscription will cost £69-84 (£2-91). The authors will provide a free back copy so that you can judge the quality and suitability before purchasing. This can be done easily by visiting their website at www.compersnews.com or if I may have a shameless third plug, use the direct e-mail link at www.borntoloaf.co.uk

THE FUN STUFF

What I love about this newsletter is that it is user orientated. They have internal competitions that are great fun. For example last month you could win a free month subscription by completing the phrase “You know you are a true comper when…” Winning entrants also have the kudos of being named in the newsletter with their winning slogan. Talking of slogans, Compers News lists winning slogans from national competitions each month. I’m looking forward to reading the Mr Kipling ones as I had my heart set on winning his bouncy castle and took days to dream up a wining slogan that wasn’t. Winners can also submit their recent winnings won through this magazine to see their name in the newsletter opposite their huge list of goodies. I’d send mine in – but I don’t think they’d have the room!

SLOGAN COMPS

These are great because few people can be bothered to enter them, so sad mad people like me get to win. The trouble is it can be difficult to hunt the leaflets and entry forms down. Instead, it’s good to rely on the list and details found on Compers News. Then I know where to take Mrs B shopping so I can pick up a form and the suitable qualifier such as a till receipt. We eat depending on the competition and what we have to buy to enter it!

PRIZE DRAWS

These are very easy to do and are usually entered on a postcard or a plain paper. They involve no cost and do save money as various magazine competitions are listed. These include the likes of Bella, Prima, Take a Break, Best, Practical Parenting, etc. Considering the cost of all these magazines the subscription to Compers News really is good value.

QUESTION COMPS

If you’ve ever wanted to enter a competition but didn’t know the answer then this is a great section. Or if you’re just a lazy loafer like me then once again you can just write out some postcards or plain paper entries and wiz them off in the post. So, no more squinting at the Sainsbury’s or Maxim magazine hoping the answer will magically spring out at you like a Yeti on the warpath. They’re all listed here.

TO BUY OR NOT TO BUY

Instant wins are great fun. Bet you’ve all been buying Walkers crisps over the last few months! Anyone found £20? Sometimes though the thing you have to buy is a wee bit expensive. Instead, companies have a no purchase route where you can just send in your details and an entry will be made which has the same chance as if you bought the product and looked I the wrapper for those magical winning words. Handy if you don’t want to buy another car!

I’LL HAE TAE PLUGS ME MATES SITE

Here goes: www.Ukwins.co.uk is a great place to find the latest online competitions. These are changed on a daily basis and this is why Compers News doesn’t list that many. The few they do list are for major prizes like houses, holidays and large cash prizes. So no risk of the borntoloaf competition getting a mention! (Oops was that another shameless plug! I’ll get know as a namedropper).
Compers Wins do however list telephone competitions instead. I don’t do these, as I hate using the phone because I’m a bit of a shy lad!

OKAY THIS IS THE LAST ONE!

If the wining tips at borntoloaf (!) aren’t enough for you then there are monthly tips at Compers News. Even old hands like me learn a thing or three. For example this month I learnt that PO Box numbers are not opened on a weekend, so I should ensure I send entries to arrive on a weekday, otherwise I may miss the closing date.

REFLECTIONS

Anyone remember this from Scottish TV? I love this newsletter. It may cost a few quid a month, but it saves me trawling loads of Internet and newsgroup sites for the postcard competitions. I can do them offline whilst listening to the Archers or watching The Talons of Weng Chiang with wee Mr B for the hundredth time. It may cost me I terms of postage stamps (I used 7 books of 2nd class stamps for the last issue and CareBear or MattyGroves the Ciao mathematicians will tell you how much the total is) but last month I received parcels with Spiderman toys, five games, cosmetics and some juice. In total worth over £200. Have I convinced you yet?

CIAOER I’D MOST RECOMMEND THIS TOO

I haven’t seen her around for a while but I’d still recommend this to BizzyBek; anyone know where she’s gone?
I’d also recommend it to donnamford, sdwill and simmer, all fellow competition addicts. The rest of you just don’t understand!

• Walkhappy5 published 06/04/2004
    Thanks to you I am now seriously addicted to Ciao and your site!!
  • Sally3 published 21/11/2003
    Signed up for a free copy as suggested...if I ever win anything I'll know who to thank! Lovely entertaining op...
  • Toonarmy published 07/04/2003
    I love comps and am forever entering them. They are getting used to me in Waitrose asking for 60 second class stamps. I actually subscribe to simply prizes, but have not yet won any big prizes.

Product Information : Compers News