Converse All Star Hi-Top Men

Converse All Star Hi-Top Men

Footwear - Laced Shoes

Review of "Converse All Star Hi-Top Men"

published 26/03/2013 | Chrisheels
Member since : 18/10/2012
Pro Cheap, lightweight
Cons Not much cushioning
Design/Style

"Classic Converse"

The converse all star is a classic design of sneaker (Don't let converse hear you call them trainers or boots!). I never really fancied a pair until I was forced to get some as an usher at a friends wedding recently. His gimmick was that he always wears a black pair and that all the ushers shoudl wear a matching pair. A good talking point in the future and a great introduction into the world of converse for me.

The Sneaker

The Converse all star has a thick rubber sole and material upper. This makes them extremely lightweight to wear and very flixible and therfore very comfortable in my opinion. The canvas material is not particulary waterproof and is quite thin so does not retain much heat on cold days.

The sneakers are laced up through eylets in the shoe. They are very adjustable as you can choose not to lace all the way to the top and select how tight you like to have them laced.

Although not my usual style I found the black sneakers to look quite good. how they looked at the wedding when matched with a suit may not be the best place to wear them, but with jeans they are a classic look.
Variations

The converse all star comes in a wide variety of colours ranging from lurid pink, through most standard colours to patterned floral designs. I have even seen a leather version which personally i though looked horrible, but one persons disgust is anothers delight! On the converse website you can get customised versions where you can choose a name to be embroidered on the shoe and select your own colours for the material sections and sole (note that rude words are automatically rejected when designing your own shoe. I tried, but not for my own shoe)

Whilst the material upper section is extremely mouldable and comfortable, I did find that the sole have very little cushioning built in and doing a lot of walking in these leads to sore feet quite easily. Whilst overall they are more comfortable than I expected, I still prefer my standard skate trainers as casual shoes over these (confirmed DC shoes addict).
Price

As there were quite a few of us trying to find these in a range of sizes, the groom whose wedding we all wore them to, let us shop for our own and reimbursed the bill. I wear a size 12 which can be quite hard to find, but eventually found a pair in soletrader for £35. My friends through various online and shops found them for prices ranging between £25 and £39. I think this is very good value as I normally spend more on a pair of trainers, and these have lasted far better than my usual choices.

Summary

Whilst not first choice for me, they are more comfortable than expected and very good value.