Coombeshead College

Review of "Coombeshead College"

published 22/04/2005 | Samurai_Sam
Member since : 21/03/2005
Pro Helpful teachers, fantastic media facilaties, a good range of courses
Cons None

" A Media Arts Status College"

Coombeshead College

Coombeshead College is the largest comprehensive school in Newton Abbot and has everything you might need at school until you are 19. You have the secondary school and the sixth form once you have finished secondary.

Lately Coombeshead has gained a media arts status which is the reason why we are able to have all this building work.

Currently there is building work happening all over the college, so far a new sports hall and theatre has been built, and 14 new classrooms are on there way, so there is plenty of building at the moment and loads of off limits area's around the college.

We also have a radio station, TV Studio, Sound Studio, TV and Sound editing suite. I work in the radio station as a Station manager, and I really enjoy working with students and teachers as they are polite and friendly most of the time.

There are two canteens at Coombeshead one on the main site of the college and the other is at College House(Coombeshead Post-16), we have an excellent menu which varies from day to day. Most of it is healthy food products but there are other food products there.

The Expressive Arts (Art, Drama, Music and Media) section of the school are fantastic and because of this department we have been able to gain the media arts status.

The Maths department is another excellent department but the teachers have the nickname "Nazis" because if you don't get your homework/coursework done on time you are 'slaughtered' and placed in an automatic detention.

The English Department are totally ace in my opinion but this might change in due time because of one particular teacher but that is another matter.

The Humanities Department are also fantastic, there are always trips in all of the Humanites Subjects (History, Geography & RE). I believe that this helps the students better understand the subjects which they are studying and it also makes the subjects more enjoyable.

The Science Department are wicked they provide us some excellent demostrations of dangerous experiments and the also teach us the fundamentals of every science subject there is. Not only do the science department at Coombeshead demostrate dangerous experiments but the do provide a well developed working system as well.

I am not a big lover of the Technology department as when I was in year 11 they lost all my Resistant Materials coursework on the day. But the technology facilities are some of the best in the Newton Abbot area.

You also have the PE Department of which we have two sports halls and our own outdoor swimming pool. The PE teachers are extremely friendly and are easy to get on with.

Coombeshead is a secondary school and a 6th Form so you can study for your A-Levels as well as your GCSE's.

I am in Coombeshead College Post-16, so I am a sixth former, I study English Literature, Biology and Journalism. Coombeshead is the only 6th Form in the UK that does the Journalism course otherwise you would have to take this course in University.

Other courses available in the 6th Form range from English right up to Law. The Coombeshead sixth form is linked with Knowles Hill's 6th Form so some of the courses we provide are also taught by Knowles Hill teachers like Law, French and German. The students will have some lessons with Coombeshead teachers and the rest with the Knowles Hill ones.

I personally love the college, it is like a second home to me and I love it dearly.

• Samurai_Sam published 26/04/2005
    It should be updated soon, just have to do my last bit of coursework. Kelly ^_^
  • Mickie26 published 26/04/2005
    Nice review look forward to the update.
  • Samurai_Sam published 25/04/2005