Coombeshead College

Coombeshead College

Review of "Coombeshead College"

published 22/01/2007 | KellytheGreenStar
Member since : 22/01/2007
Good
Pro Fantastic media facilities
Cons Small field for playing sports

"Coombeshead College, is it worth attending?"

Due to a very upsetting complaint from a member on this site saying that my review of my old school was slanderous and biased to the extremes, I have re-written it to be more positive and non-slanderous just to please them. I do apologise for my general opinion of the college being as such but if others feel that my opinion is too far gone then I will retract what I have written and write a new. So for those who have already put a rating on this review please feel free to re-rate.

Well anyway, Coombeshead College is the largest comprehensive school in Newton Abbot. It has everything you might need at a secondary school and sixth form until you are 19, that is if you plan to continue on to do your A-Levels, GNVQs, etc there once you have completed your GCSEs.

The college itself has gained a media arts status which is the reason why there is so much building work being done, our two newest buildings is a state of the art sports hall and a brand new theatre and the final step of the multi-million pound building scheme is a block of classrooms which will allow us to be rid of the huts that have been there since the beginning of time and were only meant to be temporary. Thus thanks to all the buildings being built a large area of the college is off bounds to all students and a large part of what used to be an expansive school playing field is gone.

As for the facilities themselves there is:

- A radio station, where students broadcast their own shows on a FM wave to the college and around Newton Abbot area and perhaps further.

- TV Studio, where educational productions that is produced by the students themselves and broadcasted across the college, the information channel is also on this network.

- Journalism room, where the college paper is produced as well as articles that is put into the local paper, I myself have had numerous articles published in both the school paper and local newspaper and have kept them in a file at home to show off in my CV later on. If you are in sixth form you can also study to take your NCTJ preliminary Journalism exam, which is from what I have been told the first year of university whilst doing Journalism.

- 2 Recording Studios, many of the college's bands record here and there have been on occassions famous bands such as Muse to practice for concerts.

- Theatre, where all the college's major theatrical productions occur.

- Sportshall, Outdoor Swimming Pool and Gym, where nearly all sporting events takes place, nothing really to say about that place, not a lot of good memories but I will say there were some real fun times there especially playing basketball.

- 2 canteens, one on mainsite campus and one at College House, the food is pretty good for school food but then again they have an ex-military chef.

- 8 toilet facilities including staff toilets, which are getting better from what they used to be like as you used to avoid using the toilets at one point just because of the state of them during the day.

- 2 Drama studios, ah the many memories of GCSE Drama, I may not have liked the subject that much but I still enjoyed some aspects of it. I didn’t enjoy it mainly because I am not that good as an actor

- 3 Art rooms, the most creative places in the entire college and has some of the most talented, funniest and polite artist you could ever wish to have teaching you about art and helping you to perfect your drawings on the whole.

- 3 Music classrooms and 4 practice rooms (for those who have extra lessons in music), so many bad memories of those rooms, even though I learnt to sing in those rooms and can now mimic pretty much any song put before me which is pretty cool.

- 10 Maths rooms, God I loved that subject throughout secondary school, it was fun and you would enjoy the lessons through and through even if maths was never your strong point. You will receive masses of help if you just ask for the help.

- 7 English rooms, I hate English with the dearest passion but then again I believe that was partly my own fault for sitting next to my friend who tended to copy most of my work and I got the blame for his work being the same as mine, oh well I guess that happens quite often in many classes across the world.

- 7 Languages rooms, I love the Languages department, they are all such a laugh, I love the memories I had when doing French and German.

- 9 Science labs, oh yes Science the bane of everyones existance but my one true love, how I love that subject especially when it comes down to Chemistry, I swear to God that we have some of the best science teachers in the country, they are complete lunatics and we all love them for it, but they also do crack down when it comes to failure to hand in homework/coursework and help you out a lot during times of exams.

- Technology block, that is one of the most memorable places in the college for me as everything went wrong during projects and I ended up doing well at GCSE in the subject.

- Humanities Huts, my dear God those huts have been on the college grounds since my mum attended the school and she is almost 40 years old now. Those huts are cold and they leak when it rains, it is like flood in the classrooms during the winter, you may as well sit in the classroom with your umbrella up and coat on so you don't get wet. But luckily they will be gone soon as the new building will remove the need for them.

- 5 ICT suites, all very boring to me and a lot of websites/email sites are filtered but I guess it is like that in most schools.

Well that is the main bulk of Coombeshead College, well just main site, as for college house where the sixth formers roam, it isn’t much different except the head of sixth form is absolutely fantastic and is actually making a difference at the college. Making it more study focused and hardworking as well as having the few social events around the year to get us altogether to have a good night out or to raise money for events that are to be held.

Well at College house there isn't much on except for the annual parties organised by the Student Council, the various argumentative discussions in the debating team and just general studying all around as nearly every common A-Level course you can think of is studied there as well as a few more over at Knowles Hill or Teign School since Coombeshead is combined with those two. The grounds are absolutely stunning and very photogenic when using a black and white film camera instead of a digital camera and just changing it to black and white after you’ve taken the photo.

As for the facilities themselves there is:

- Theatre, where all the college's major theatrical productions occur.

• tinac37 published 22/01/2007
    great first review!!!!!
  • little_eira published 22/01/2007
    Sounds horrible!! Reminds me a bit of my old school....! Eira :o)

Product Information : Coombeshead College