Corfu International Airport

Corfu International Airport

Review of "Corfu International Airport"

published 29/07/2004 | LenaSophia
Member since : 24/02/2004
Satisfactory
Pro Good Location
Cons Unbelievably Crowded

"Corfu International Chaos"

You would expect that early in the morning; (5am to be precise), you would arrive to find a nice, sedate, and empty airport. After all, when waiting for my midnight flight from stansted it was all very relaxed. Hardly a person in sight apart from the 100 or so people waiting for the 00:30 flight to corfu. We were wrong!

When my boyfriend and I arrived at the airport, it was heaving, and only 2 flights had arrived previously. Passport control was quick and we just had to fight our way to the baggage belts amongst the 300 or so people. You would think this was bad for an airport with only 2 baggage belts. We were also wrong on this.

After we got there, a flight arrived roughly every 10 minutes, and as the sun came up you quickly noticed the temperature rising amongst the 600 hundred or so people in the airport.

Then the panic started. My bag had seemingly vanished. My boyfriend had found his at around 5:30 in the morning. Pretty much as soon as it came on the belt, but mine didn't appear to be turning up any time soon. After reporting it lost at 7am, it turned up on the baggage belt I had been checking for the last 2 hours. That would have been fine, if it wasn't for the fact we'd kept a whole coach load of travellers waiting for an hour and a half.

The return trip was much more pleasant. Arriving at the airport at 3am in the morning, and then checking in around 4am was a breeze, and knowing that there was only limited shops and amusements on the air side, we decided to stay ground side for as long as possible. We went to the cafe which was quite pleasant, and we utilised the highly uncomfortable seats for some much needed sleep.

Then we went air side. Once again, it was havoc to get a seat, and it was hot and uncomfortable. Thankfully we only had to wait there for about 30 minutes. But it was thirty minutes too long.

If you want to be on the safe side though, I would advise doing as the greeks do. Fly into a mainland airport and get the ferry.

• SonataArctica published 29/04/2006
    Oh no, I'm travelling to Corfu with my boyfriend in June and I was hoping it would be a great experience for us... but I can see the tempers beginning to fly as soon as we land in corfu. Eeek... thanks for getting me prepared for a nightmare to come...
  • kittyfluff published 11/02/2005
    I would rather have a parachute strapped to me and take my chances rather than land in Corfu airport again!What a nightmare!x
  • s_jones_2003 published 02/09/2004
    I visited Kos airport in July and arriving was fine - we arrived and were out with our baggage within about 15 minutes but going home was a nightmare, we had to queue outside in the hot midday sun for about 45 minutes before another queue and then being packed in like sardines! Sarah x

Product Information : Corfu International Airport