Corpus Christi College, Cambridge

Corpus Christi College, Cambridge

Review of "Corpus Christi College, Cambridge"

published 22/07/2006 | bluejules
Member since : 17/06/2003
Also bluejules on dooyoo and my reviews usually also appear there. Struggling to upload photos onto my Crowne Plaza review - will keep trying!
Pro *
Cons *
IT Facilities
Libraries
Societies/Clubs
Sporting Facilities
Student Union

"Corpus Christi - The Body of Christ - Cambridge"

Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi

When I stayed at Cambridge University last week with the Sutton Trust, we stayed in Corpus Christi College. This is just one of many colleges at Cambridge university.

After arriving at Cambridge train station it was arranged for us to be taken to Corpus Christi by taxi. It took about 10 minutes to get there. We arrived at the Porter's Lodge where people from the Sutton Trust gave us an envelope with our room number and keys. I was staying in the Robert Beldam Building, which was about a 5-minute walk from the main Corpus Christi building. This didn't cause any problems but on the first day it was raining and we had to take our suitcases round (typical - it was sunny the rest of week when we didn't have our cases!)

~ The Corpus Christi Building ~

'Corpus Christi' means the body of Christ. Corpus Christi College is one of the ancient colleges of the University of Cambridge. It was founded in 1352 (wow - that's nearly 700 years old!) and is the only College in Oxford or Cambridge to be founded by their citizens.
The building was so beautiful, that it took my breath away the first time that I looked at it. I just couldn't believe that I was there. It is so different to any of the buildings that I live near!

The dining hall and some accommodation is on this main site. The building has a large courtyard, which is known as new court. This has a large, lush green lawn, which you are not allowed to walk on. There were sprinklers watering this almost all day long (even though there's a water shortage!) there is also a court called old court but I only seen this once. This was pretty as well, but it's not as grand as new court.

On the Wednesday it was gloriously sunny, and we had some free time before dinner so we asked if there was anywhere we could sit outside (as obviously we couldn't sit on the grass!). The porters at the Porter's Lodge pointed us in the direction of a small a garden. It wasn't very big but it was really pretty. Once sitting in the garden (we were allowed on the grass in this part!) it was very peaceful and it reminded my friends and I of a secret garden. We could see the back of the chapel, which is part of Corpus Christi (this is open daily 2-4pm when tourists can visit). We even heard the organs playing which added to the tranquil feeling.

There was a common room with a pool table and chairs. I only went in here to sign in before going to bed but we were allowed access to it for socialising.

~ The Robert Beldam Building ~

It was built in 1995, so its fairly modern - at least compared to all the other buildings at Corpus Christi! The building looked new but it wasn't as nice as the other - much older - buildings (new ones never do though do they?)

From the street there was two entrances to the buildings. These were locked gates, which only the students and the staff had keys for. Everyone had two keys, one for their room and one for the gates. (The key for the gate opened all gates around the site. At night the door to the Porter's Lodge got locked, this key also opened this door)
Once past the gates, there was a door to the building, which also required the second key to open it. I did feel like the accommodation was fairly secure although there was posters up in the building stating that burglars may be active in the area. I don't know if this means that this building gets burgled or whether it just a general warning.

I quite like this building. As it is fairly new there were no ghost stories going round linked to it like there was about some of the other accommodation! This made me feel better! Apparently though, the building, which is haunted, has a friendly ghost! I still wouldn't like to stay in it though!

~ My Room ~

My room was on the first floor. In my room, there was a bed (you'd hope so wouldn't you?!), a desk with two draws and a reading lamp, four large shelves and a wardrobe. There was also a small table and a chair. There was a window on one wall, which just looked out onto another building, so the view wasn't fantastic!

There was a compliments pack on my bed, along with a towel. The compliments pack included a sachet of shampoo, a sachet of body wash, a shower cap and a mending kit. I thought this was a nice welcome. It was in a cardboard packet with Corpus Christi College, with compliments, written on it. I do not know if students studying at the university get these when they first start too or if this was a Sutton Trust thing.

I also had an en suite bathroom. Some of the accommodation at Corpus Christi did not have en suite bathrooms, most needed to share with people from a few other rooms. However, these buildings were nearer to the main Corpus Christi site.
In the bathroom there was a small cupboard, a toilet, a sink and a shower. I wasn't very impressed with the bathroom as the floor just had a drain in for the shower (i.e. it didn't have a lip to catch the water.) Despite having a shower curtain (which was about 4 inches from the floor) the whole of the bathroom floor got wet whenever I had a shower. I didn't like this as I worried I would slip.

Every morning the shower was quite cold. As it was really hot outside this didn't matter but I wouldn't fancy a cold shower in the winter! I had a shower on the night before the Gala Dinner and Disco and the water was so hot I could not stand underneath it!
On the last night I had no cold water and by the next morning I had no tap water and the shower only trickled a little bit of water. Other people staying in the building didn't even have a trickle of water and their toilets didn't flush either. Apparently though, the water going off is a very rare occasion! It still caused an inconvenience for us though.

The room was nice and clean. The bed was made, the sink cleaned and the bin emptied everyday. Overall, I was satisfied with the room as it was clean and the bed was comfortable. However, I'm not sure I could live there whilst studying at university as I think it was too small. I'm sure I would get used to it though!
There were small kitchens on each floor, but as all my meals were paid for (by the summer school) I didn't need to use them so I didn't go in.

~ The Canteen and Dining Hall ~

We went for dinner at about 5.30pm on our first night. The queue was out the door. The food was served in a canteen. We then had to go through the till before entering the dining hall. We didn't need to pay as long as we had our badge proving that we were with the Sutton Trust. I didn't see how much the food cost, although I think you paid per item. There was quite a good choice of meals (at least two, usually four) and there were canned drinks, yoghurts, cakes and fruit also available. We ate all three of our meals in the dining hall each day.
When I first walked into the dining hall I instantly thought of Harry Potter (I know - that's quite sad!) as there were three long tables with a table running the other way at the top of the hall. There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and the walls were bursting with paintings of some people who have been a part of Cambridge University. The paintings all looked old and rather grand.

On the last night we had a Gala Dinner (with silver service!) in the dining hall. The tables all had white tablecloths on and there were beautiful candles burning too. Some important people (founders of the Sutton Trust, vice chair of the university etc) all sat at the top table. There was a set menu with no choice, I think this would have been nicer if there had been a choice of two meals but it was still nice. It was an excellent start to the night, which was finished of wonderfully with a disco!

I loved Cambridge University and I would love to study there but unfortunately they do not do the course that I want to do (Speech and Language Therapy) so I don't intend to apply. :-(

As I stayed as part of a summer school and not as a student studying at the university the procedures etc may be different but this is an accurate account of my stay at this college.

When applying to Cambridge University you need to apply to one of the colleges (such as Corpus Christi) regardless of the subject you wish to study. Each college only take a certain number of students from each academic subject, for example Corpus Christi only takes 2 geography students per year. (The number of students depends on each college.) But all students for each subject are taught together regardless of their College.

A list of the courses to study at Cambridge University can be found at www.cam.ac.uk. More information about Corpus Christi College can be found at www.corpus.cam.ac.uk

Thanks for reading! I look forward to reading your comments, bluejules xx

• raymond24 published 22/08/2006
    Glad you enjoyed yourself, sounds like a lovely place, fantastic review.
  • mark1961 published 30/07/2006
    Sounds fantastic. You said you don't want to go there as it did not offer you the course you wanted. Have you considered going there and then after graduation going on to do the other coure. MARK
  • Essexgirl2006 published 29/07/2006
    Excellent review - glad you enjoyed your time there.

Product Information : Corpus Christi College, Cambridge