Cotton Bottoms Birth to Potty System

Cotton Bottoms Birth to Potty System

Reusable Nappy

Review of "Cotton Bottoms Birth to Potty System"

published 23/07/2004 | GillMcP
Member since : 17/02/2004
Pro Ease of use, no nappy rash, cheap running costs
Cons Expensive at first outlay
How leak proof are they?
Absorption
Fit around legs
Do they stay up?

"A happy baby is one in cotton nappies"

After using only disposables for my first child and thinking anyone who used washables was mad I have had a revelation with these nappies.

My partner was desperate to use washables and I agreed to try them if he washed them! But I wouldn't use anything else now. I tried Kushies first and they leaked but hey ho I tried a starter pack of cotton bottoms (12 cotton nappies, 3 wraps and a roll of liners) free with my botts points and was amazed. No leaks, no nappy rash and with a mesh bag in the bucket no handling soggie nappies. I am now delighted he suggested it and am a real convert.

I have used them for 5 months now and they cope well with my baby boy even overnight. As others have explained the liner is next to the babies skin and is flushable but doesn't work too well until your baby is weaned then the cotten nappy. The boy fold isn't as complicated as it looks and is coverd in the wrap. I have had a lot of coments at the baby clinic about these as people are very interested in them.

I have 24 cotton nappies and wash every three days. They come whiter than white in the machine on a 60 degree wash with fairy and the nappy bright, I have never had any staining.

My baby's nursery will use them and having been at first aprehensive have been really surprised at how easy they are to use. They also find his bulky bottom very cute. Clothes are not designed to fit around cotton nappies so i do find I need a bigger size for trousers and shorts than normal.

I do use the odd disposable but not as much as I expected I find them smelly and cause redness on Jonny's bottom as he has very sensitive skin. This never happens with cotton bottoms even overnight.

Rather than shell out for the whole birth to potty pack I have bought as I needed each size. We didn't use newborn but went straight to small baby and managed with 1 started pack and 2 extra wraps. With the medium baby (15-30lb) I got 2 started packs and again 2 extra wraps and have found by doing it this way it spreads the cost
and means I can use my Boots points also I get what I need rather than what a typical baby will use birth to potty.

My friend is now using my small baby ones with her newborn as they are as white and fluffy as when they were new.

Give it a try you will be surprised how easy it is, how comfortable your baby is and how much difference it makes to your weekly shopping bill.

• MAFARRIMOND published 23/07/2004