Lozenges

Review of "Covonia Cough Lozenges Berry Blast"

published 04/04/2011 | mummy2harry
Member since : 12/04/2007
YAY I am finally silver! Wooo! Like books? Check out http://chicklitchloe.blogspot.com...
Pro Nice flavour, clear your airways, stop the cough for a while
Cons None
Side effects
Effectiveness

"Blast that Cough away!"

Covonia Cough Lozenges Berry Blast

Just before Christmas I had a really bad chest infection which resulted in me having the most annoying and irritating cough known to man. I was in agony from it, I wasn't sleeping and even my asthma inhalers weren't touching it so I was in a pretty bad way. I tried every cough medicine I could, and nothing worked so when I saw these in the supermarket on one of my shopping trips, I thought they would be worth a try for £1.50, I was so desperate I was at the point of trying anything!

These Covonia lozenges are a relatively new product, only being available from this winter, and are available in both Berry Blast and Original flavours. I will be reviewing the Berry Blast variety seeing as they are the ones that I have tried. They comes in a purple cardboard box, with the red Covonia Bull on the front, and it's a pretty distinctive packet. When you open the box, the lozenges are located in a small plastic bag, and all look quite rough - they are actually hand made and certainly look it! The bag is easy to open, but I did notice a few of the lozenges were stuck together but a quick pull apart was all they needed to separate them.

The lozenges have quite a distinct appearance to them. They are split horizontally into 2 different layers. One half is white and the other is a dark purple/brown, and this is part of the "double action" of the lozenges. The brown side of the lozenges is the warming part with the real flavour, and the white side is the side which helps to clear out your airways with its strong menthol. You can actually taste the difference when you flip the lozenge around in your mouth, the white side does feel cooler and stronger than the brown side, from which you can definitely taste more flavour.

Now the important question is do they actually work? Well as I mentioned, I was on anti-biotics, my inhalers for asthma and nothing else seemed to help so I was pleasantly surprised when I found that these lozenges really did offer me some relief from my horrid cough. I found that almost straight away my airways, especially my nose, felt much clearer and I could get in some good breaths which helps ease the cough symptoms straight away. The lozenge takes around 5 minutes to dissolve in your mouth, and after that the taste does linger for a while, but it's pleasant and the after taste wasn't at all horrible.

I found that my cough was most definitely subdued for around half an hour to 45 minutes after the lozenge had completely dissolved, and I was really pleased with the effects of them. If you had a tickly or dry cough that you just can't seem to get rid of despite many methods of trying, then I would highly recommend trying these. I only bought them as a last resort, but now they will remain a staple part of my medical cabinet in case I ever get an awful cough! The berry flavour is very pleasant - yes the lozenges are strong but this means they do what they are supposed to do, and I'd definitely recommend you have a box of these around, especially at this time of year!

Ingredients: Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Citric Acid, Menthol Crystals, Squill Extract, Flavourings, Colour :E150a.

Not recommended for children under 12 years of age.
Available from Boots, Supermarkets and other pharmacies.

Thank you for reading.

• Secre published 10/04/2011
    I'll have to give these a shot next time I have a cough...Lissy
  • MrBrightside1987 published 04/04/2011