Covonia Cough Lozenges Berry Blast

Covonia Cough Lozenges Berry Blast

Lozenges

Review of "Covonia Cough Lozenges Berry Blast"

published 01/03/2012 | star3683
Member since : 14/11/2010
Pro soothes throat and clears airways
Cons Non practical packaging
Side effects
Effectiveness

"Covonia Blast!"

After I have had a cold it is almost a certainty that it will end in a horrible, annoying, dry, tickly cough. This was exactly the case a few weeks ago and the most irritating part of having the cough was that it was waking me up in the night leaving me feeling frustrated and tired. I have tried many cough medicines before but never find the effects to last very long so I thought I would look for some lozenges instead to provide me with some relief.

I found the Covonia Berry Blast double action cough lozenges in Boots priced at £1.60. Personally I thought that this was a little expensive as it was rather a small box but as I was getting desperate I thought they were worth a try.

The Covonia lozenges come in a small rectangular box, I opted to purchase the Berry Blast flavour so this box is a purple colour to reflect the flavour. On the front of the box you can find a picture of the Covonia bull and a description of the lozenges 'warming flavour, soothes mouth and throat, clears airways'. Also on the box you can find full ingredients listings, nutritional information, and some information about how the lozenges work. It also states that the lozenges are suitable for vegetarians and are gluten free. Inside the box I was surprised to find that the lozenges come packed in a single purple plastic wrapper. I did think this was a little disappointing as it meant that once opened it didn't take long before the lozenges started to go a little sticky. Personally I think these would be better packaged in blister packs to allow you just to remove one lozenge at a time and to keep the rest fresh.

The lozenges themselves are oval in shape and around an inch long, they are made up of two layers the brown side which is warming while the white side is meant to help clear your airways. The lozenges contain menthol which you can certainly taste as soon as you pop one into your mouth as they are rather strong. Within a few seconds of letting the lozenge dissolve in my mouth I could feel it working, soothing my throat and sending a lovely cooling feeling up towards my nose leaving me able to breath clearly. I would not say that the berry flavouring is very noticeable and the menthol taste definitely dominates.

Overall I was extremely impressed with these lozenges they worked fantastically to leave my throat feeling soothed and airways much clearer making breathing easier. Although not good for my teeth whilst my cough cleared I was having a lozenge just before going to sleep and found that it really did help and I was able to have a much less interrupted night's sleep. Personally I will certainly be purchasing these lozenges again at the first sign of a cough or sore throat, I just hope they decide to redesign the packaging so they stay fresher for longer.

Ingredients - Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Citric Acid, Menthol Crystals, Squill Extract, Flavourings, Colour E150a.