Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer

Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer

Specialty

Review of "Crabbies Alcoholic Ginger Beer"

published 09/04/2011 | chiglo2001
Member since : 31/07/2007
Pro Refreshing and thirst quenching. Nice spicy flavour.
Cons It doesn't taste alcoholic
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"A refreshing summer ginger beer with added alcohol"

I frequently enjoy the odd tipple or three and enjoy trying new alcoholic beverages. So when I noticed a bottle of this alcoholic ginger beer from Crabbies in my local supermarket I decided to give it a try. The single bottle cost £2.04 at Sainsburys.

The product comes in an attractive 500ml brown glass bottle with raised pictures of the Crabbies elephant logo around the neck and a label with a bright picture of a thistle on which helps to show that this product originates in Scotland (Glasgow to be specific). The bottle is nicely contoured with a slightly wider base than the centre. The bottle was actually quite heavy when full which I guess indicates that the glass is quite thick because this is not something I have particularly noticed with similar products in the past.

The bottle suggests the product is served chilled over ice with a slice of lemon or lime. Not having ice, lemon or lime available, however, I just drank the product straight from the fridge-chilled bottle. The bottle has a standard cap which you remove with a bottle opener. I found the product to have a pleasant taste, very similar to other varieties of (non-alcoholic) ginger beer that I have had in the past. If you haven’t tasted ginger beer the best way I can describe the taste is a sweet-fruity underlying drink with the spices and ginger flavours jumping out to you in the foreground. The overall effect was not as rich as some ginger-beers, however, this I found quite good and made the product refreshing and thirst quenching. As such I think this would be a perfect drink for a summer day, or a BBQ. I would, however, be wary of trying the product over ice in the future as this would potentially dilute the flavour further. The main drawback of this product is that despite containing 4% alcohol, I really couldn’t tell this at all from the flavour! I have tried a wide range of alcoholic beverages over the years and as far as I can recall this is the one which least tastes as if it contains alcohol to me – perhaps the ginger spices mask the taste. While I only had one bottle available to drink anyway, this could definitely lead to some people having more to drink than they would otherwise intend for this reason.

There are, of course, a number of potential health problems from drinking alcoholic and it can only be bought by people aged 18 and over in the UK. It is up to individuals to make their own decisions about how much they do or don’t want to have, but for people who want more information on these issues I refer you to the website www.drinkaware.co.uk . One of these bottles corresponds to 2 UK units of alcohol. The product also contains sulphites, sugar and sweeteners.

Overall I would recommend the product if you like alcohol and like ginger or ginger beer and think the price is a fair one, but I warn you that you may end up having more than you were planning on having if you are not careful!

Thank you for reading, review may also appear on Dooyoo/

• pumfster published 09/04/2011
    I discovered Crabbies last summer and really enjoy it now. (In moderation of course :)