Review of "Crabtree & Evelyn Gardeners Hand Therapy"

published 08/02/2017 | Chippytarka
Member since : 04/06/2013
Good
Pro Scent is fresh and clean, easily absorbed into hands, doesn't leave hands sticky
Cons Old fashioned in look, could be thicker and richer on skin, not hydrating enough
Does it smell good?
How easily is it absorbed?

"Maybe Better For A Gardener!"

I think we're experiencing a delayed winter. Not sure about anyone else's thoughts right now, but I don't feel we've really had one in the UK. An odd day or so of bitter coldness but that's it, although the weather reports suggest this will change at some point this week. How long it will last who knows. With this news I'm bracing myself. In my bag everyday I have my lip balm to keep my lips nice and hydrated, along with a handcream ( or two! ). One of the hand products I'm using at the moment is this one. It was another lovely gesture from my Secret Santa of 2016. I wasn't given the full size of 100g, but the 100g version appears to be available from many instore and online retailers. Direct from the company it costs £16.00.

Why did I use this?

My current job has taken a toll on my poor hands. Hands have rarely been my natural weak area body wise, and the constant dipping in and out of lotions and potions for my ezcema suffering daughter has helped no doubt keeping them even more moisturised. But due to working with lots of paper at work and always using my hands, they now become dryer so much more quickly and more intense than before that I'm finding it difficult to keep them feeling and looking good. Time isn't on my side either as I can't just slap lotion on when I feel like it at work, and straight after it's pretty much the school run so no time and if honest I can't be bothered then. So they really are being neglected. But when I picked up my kids from school recently and looked down at hands that were chalky white, dry and quite yucky...I needed to try something new! And this I had never tried before.

What is this supposed to do?

This hand cream is designed to soothe, smooth, nourish and mositurise the most dry and hard working of hands. Containing Shea butter and glycerin, this combined with using other products within the range e.g hand scrub, can improve the condition of hands by making them more soft, supple and smoother.

Packaging

I don't own the full size, but it appears my 25g version is housed in the same way as the full size 100g. This hand product comes in a metal looking plastic tube, with a black screw top lid to dispense hand cream. Although metal in appearance, the tube itself actually feels quite soft and not too stiff. Label going around the tube is brown in colour, and on the front the brand and product name is visible,along with an illustration of what appears to be a woman possibly gardening, along with the weight of the product at the bottom.

On the back is the ingredients list, company contact details and the shelf life once opened which is 24 months.

Ingredients

WATER (AQUA)(EAU). MACADAMIA TERNIFOLIA SEED OIL. ZEA MAYS (CORN) ~STARCH. HYDROXYETHYL UREA. EMULSIFYING WAX NF. STEARIC ACID. CETYL~ ALCOHOL. BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA) BUTTER. ISOPROPYL ~MYRISTATE. SACCHARIDE ISOMERATE. ROSMARINUS OFFICINALIS ~(ROSEMARY) LEAF EXTRACT. SALVIA OFFICINALIS (SAGE) LEAF EXTRACT. ~CUCUMIS SATIVUS (CUCUMBER) FRUIT EXTRACT. CAPRYLIC/CAPRIC ~TRIGLYCERIDE. SUCROSE DISTEARATE. ARGININE. GLYCERIN. DIMETHICONE.~ CETEARYL ALCOHOL. BEHENTRIMONIUM METHOSULFATE. SUCROSE ~STEARATE. CAPRYLYL METHICONE. SODIUM LAUROYL LACTYLATE. ~COMMIPHORA MYRRHA RESIN EXTRACT. CERAMIDE 3. CHOLESTEROL. ~PHYTOSPHINGOSINE. CERAMIDE 6 II. HYDROLYZED WHEAT PROTEIN. ~HYALURONIC ACID. ASCORBYL GLUCOSIDE. ELAEIS GUINEENSIS (PALM) OIL. ~TOCOTRIENOLS. TOCOPHEROL. SQUALANE. CERAMIDE 1. PHYTOSTEROLS. ~FRAGRANCE (PARFUM). DISODIUM EDTA. POLYSORBATE 20. BUTYLENE ~GLYCOL. CARBOMER. XANTHAN GUM. CITRIC ACID. LINALOOL. COUMARIN. ~EVERNIA FURFURACEA (TREEMOSS) EXTRACT. EUGENOL. LIMONENE. ~METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE. POLYAMINOPROPYL BIGUANIDE. POTASSIUM ~SORBATE. SODIUM BENZOATE. PHENOXYETHANOL

What do I think?

Packaging is a good way to house a hand cream. Easy to throw into a handbag and depending on size of product, just as easy to pop into a pocket. The fact the tube isn't too rigid in structure means it's so easy to squeeze the product out, and when needed to get the last drop of product out if wanting to be frugal.

Cream when squeezed out is white in colour and similar in look to body lotion, especially where consistency is concerned. Smooth, glossy but quite light in texture.

Very easy and quick to rub in due to it not being thick. Still had a feel of a decent body lotion to it but felt it had a slight ( and I literally mean slight, it wasn't a massively noticeable thing but was there! ) oily/greasiness to it. This left a very very thin layer on the hands, which left a slight sheen to the hands. Hands felt ok, lookwise not much different though compared to having no product on the hands. Main difference was the slight sheen.

Hands didn't feel sticky when touched together or touching other things. This is good as the last thing you want to do is hold onto something and feel as if you don't have a good grip on the item. It means you could in theory use this anytime, rather than feel as if you have to be mindful when and where to use.

The scent of this wasn't quite what I expected. It is fresh and clean, and would suit the men if they were this way inclined in using hand creams. There is definitely a herbal element to this, and I can't help but picture someone washing their clothes and then hanging them out to dry in a country garden. Wind blowing various plants and herbs in the direction of the washing and somehow impregnating it. That's how I would sum up the fragrance of this!

Negatives?

Price isn't cheap but for this type of product and with it being branded could be worse. 100g for £16.00 means you do get a decent amount, especially as the standard size for a handcream tends to be 50g. But still a considered purchase and if a repeat purchase frequently would mean this turns out to be quite expensive.

Can I tell you how much I dislike how this product looks in its tube? I actually love the metal tube it comes in. I became familiar with this look when I first started to buy L'Occitane products many years ago. I find it looks stylish and obviously has a practical purpose. But the slightly poo brown coloured label isn't attractive at all, coupled with the silly odd image of a woman...It's just all wrong for me. After recieving a few bits from the brand, I've found that the look of them in general is one of my least favourite looking brands, and what has probably stopped me from buying any of their products in the past if I'm honest.

The scrub version of this smells the same as this and I recall quite liking the scent. But the scent wasn't something that would sit on my hands for a long period of time, especially since it's coming from a wash off product. This product is being placed on the hands and either stays there for long periods of time ( unless hands are frequently washed ), or potentially if hands are super dry this might be applied and reapplied various times throughout the day. And if I'm honest I would prefer this to be slightly different in scent with this in mind. I probably sound like a totally vanilla addict, but I do love it, but adding a small amount scent wise to this I think would soften the scent and provide some warmth to it. So this isn't a bad scented product but I think it could be improved, balanced out alittle more with something else,so it's more pleasant and inviting.

I expected this to be richer in texture. Hoping it would be something similar to the 20% Shea L'Occitane hand cream...But it's not! Has a decent thickness to it but too similar to lotion rather than a cream.

Although hands did look a touch better after use anything providing a sheen to the skin could and would make your hands look better anyway. What would've convinced me this was doing what I needed it to was to make my normally youthful and plumped skin covered hands that have turned into aged old lady hands, into something more smoother, natural and easier on the eye. And this didn't. They also didn't feel that much different either. Less dry, it did feel as if something was on them although a very thin layer, but my hands still had a parched feel to them which I didn't like. Just think of the moment you feel like you are so thristy, and when you manage to grab a bottle of water you drink it within seconds. Wets the appetite but doesn't hit the sides, and you are still gasping and need another 2 bottles of not more,? That's how I feel about my hands and this product. Regular application needed for me as I didn't feel any benefits from this product was long lasting enough.

Is this really THAT bad?

I won't lie I expected much more from this product and it failed to deliver. This is a product that seems to receive high praise from customers and the beauty industry on the whole, so why can't I sing from the same song sheet? I don't believe in slating products without thought as not every product can suit everyone. If my hands weren't going through hardship at work I'm confident this product would do a decent job in hydrating them. If I teamed this up with using the hand scrub or any hand scrub twice a week, no doubt my hands would be in better condition full stop and this wouldn't need to be so hard working. I also think if we were in a different season, such as summer, this product would work much better for me. Summer I tend to find my body on the whole needs lighter textures which this product is. And on top of these thoughts my personal preference texture wise in products is liking them thick and luxurious anyway, which means this doesn't get off to the best of starts. So although not on my favourite hand cream list as you can tell, I can see how it works well for others and how this would be more effective for me at different times and circumstances.

Would I buy this myself?

No, probably not. It a pleasant enough product but if I'm brutal I've used better. I was hoping for something that packed a moisture punch, something I would enjoy using and really feel as if my hands were cocooned in hydration, which isn't quite the feeling I got. Not for me.

• jb0077 published 08/03/2017
    E.
  • raspberry_ripple published 07/03/2017
    E!
  • mademoiselle.ariel published 02/03/2017
    Great review!

offers "Crabtree & Evelyn Gardeners Hand Therapy"

Product Information : Crabtree & Evelyn Gardeners Hand Therapy

Hand Cream

Long Name: Gardeners Hand Therapy

EAN: 0044936278188; 0044936281942

Type: Hand Cream

Manufacturer: Crabtree & Evelyn

Listed on Ciao since: 01/04/2015

Crabtree & Evelyn Gardeners Hand Therapy - Review - Maybe Better For A Gardener!

Chippytar... 3

Chippytarka

About me: I've been so busy recently I didn't fully understand the changes that were going on with this site. I've thoroughly enjoyed it on here and the place has helpedcme so much with my writing skills. Time to say goodbye.......

Member since:04.06.2013

Maybe Better For A Gardener!

08.02.2017

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

How does it affect your skin?

Does it smell good?It's okay

How easily is it absorbed?Fast absorbed

Why did you buy it?Recommendation

Value for moneySatisfactory

49 Ciao members have rated this review on average: exceptional See ratings
  1. jb0077
  2. raspberry_ripple
  3. rolandrat123
  1. mademoiselle.ariel
  2. triohermawan
  3. jo-1976

I think we're experiencing a delayed winter. Not sure about anyone else's thoughts right now, but I don't feel we've really had one in the UK. An odd day or so of bitter coldness but that's it, although the weather reports suggest this will change at some point this week. How long it will last who knows. With this news I'm bracing myself. In my bag everyday I have my lip balm to keep my lips nice and hydrated, along with a handcream ( or two! ). One of the hand products I'm using at the moment is this one. It was another lovely gesture from my Secret Santa of 2016. I wasn't given the full size of 100g, but the 100g version appears to be available from many instore and online retailers. Direct from the company it costs 16.00.

Why did I use this?

What is this supposed to do?

Packaging

Ingredients

What do I think?

Negatives?

Price isn't cheap but for this type of product and with it being branded could be worse. 100g for 16.00 means you do get a decent amount, especially as the standard size for a handcream tends to be 50g. But still a considered purchase and if a repeat purchase frequently would mean this turns out to be quite expensive.

Is this really THAT bad?

Would I buy this myself?

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

jb0077 08.03.2017 17:21