Cramond Island, Cramond, Edinburgh

Cramond Island, Cramond, Edinburgh

Location - Address: Edinburgh EH4 6NP

Review of "Cramond Island, Cramond, Edinburgh"

published 07/05/2013 | dobieg
Member since : 31/01/2003
I'm a miserable old git. I'm ashamed to say it's been a **** very **** long time since I reviewed my "trusts", have sought to rectify this by going through every review I've written in the past couple of years, if you feel hard-done-by, drop me a note.
Pro Can't think of any
Cons Where do I start?
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Almost nothing to commend this place"

Cramond Island is located in the Firth of Forth, a mile offshore from the Edinburgh suburb of Cramond, at the mouth of the Almond River which flows through West Lothian.

The island is located amidst a large sandy tidal estuary and is accessible by foot over a causeway .

The 19 acre island is currently uninhabited, although shows signs of habitation from prehistory to relatively recent times, and was used as an anti-submarine gun emplacement during WWII.

The path to the island is accessible a couple of hours either side of ‘low water’. During the war, a causeway (now removed) was built on concrete supports – which exist to this day.

Wellington boots are highly desirable getting to the island - the surrounding sand is frequently only a couple of inches thick, and underneath is an especially stinky and thick estuary silt. Don't stray from the path, as with all sand-flats, it doesn't take much to change from 'hard firm' sand to 'porrige' which will have you up to your waist before you know it.

There is almost nothing to commend this rock-strewn low lying windswept wasteland, the only thiing I can think of is that there is no charge for visiting.

You can’t even expect peace and quiet, the island lying directly under the approaches for Edinburgh Airport, and is only three and a half miles from the start of the main runway.

The island is probably best known for stranding hapless visitors, the local lifeboat is regularly despatched to rescue unwary visitors.

The surrounding sands are covered by the incoming tide with remarkable speed – typically faster than anyone can run, therefore my advice would be to check the tide tables well in advance of paying a visit – believe me, you really *don’t* want to be stranded out there. You can check when low water is by following this link; http://www.tidetimes.org.uk/leith-tide-times

The last time I walked to the island was easily 40 years ago – long before mobile phones were thought of – I have absolutely no idea if there’s any coverage, although I wouldn’t bet on it.

There are no facilities on the island; no water, no toilets, no shelter (unless you count the old WWII reinforced concrete gun emplacements) no sources of fuel and no hardwired communications with the mainland.

Even if you ‘came prepared’ to be cut off, you have no control over who you may be sharing the experience with, for sixteen hours of the day you would be literally beyond the reach of the forces of law and order!

Supposing none of this put you off, you may still find yourself putting others at considerable inconvenience should a well-meaning member of the public report you as ‘stranded’ to the authorities, whilst the laws of trespass in Scotland are significantly different from the rest of the UK, the land is technically private property.

A visit to this place is unlikely to feature on many people’s list of ‘fifty things to do before you die’, the four hours which it can safely be explored at every low tide is probably more than anyone would need to fully explore the place, and it comes as no surprise that so far I have been unable to find any references to it in ‘top visitor attractions in Scotland’ – there’s probably a good reason for that!

Go if you must, but for goodness sake do your homework first and avoid getting stuck out there – it really isn’t worth the effort – believe me!

I've marked the ratings as low as possible, simply becauase I don't think you'd enjoy the experience.

• cr01 published 07/05/2013
    Somewhere no one else wants to visit? Strangely enough it sounds like it might be interesting... :o)