Review of "Cressi Sub Matrix"

published 21/09/2013 | RosesAreRed1207
Member since : 11/05/2011
Back from holiday with a new username to match my blog, check it out!
Pro comfortable
Cons expensive
How does it compare to similar products?

"Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water"

Before my holiday in Jamaica, I bought a snorkel set as I wanted to spend time in the water looking at all the fish and although the hotel had snorkel sets to hire, I did not really fancy sharing a mouth piece with a stranger. We went on a boat trip and I got to make use of snorkel and mask around a lovely coral reef. I am glad I spent the money on my own set as this felt and looked much better quality than the ones you could hire.

Price and availability

For the snorkel set I paid £25, however you can buy the mask on its own for £19. You can buy it from a variety of places online. I think the set works out at the best value.

Description

This is designed for scuba diving, snorkelling and swimming and it is designed for juniors or ladies. This actually fitted my partner just as well as it did me. The set is available in pink, blue and yellow with the main body of the mask being see through and the rim of the glasses given the colour. I bought a blue one and it looks good. The lens is made from one piece of plastic and the face fastening and head band is made from soft hypoallergenic transparent silicone. The mask is adjustable and it fits snug to the face covering the nose.

My experiences

This fitted comfortably and it did not cause me any discomfort. I found that it did not let any water in at all and the head band kept it secure on my face. The soft frame forms a tight seal that does not hurt and it does not leave many marks on your face afterwards, it really does not push against the skin that much. The mask only steamed up a little bit, my friend taught me a trick of putting a raw potato and rubbing it over the inside of the lens, this stopped it fogging up as much and it actually worked. I found the mask to be a pleasure to use. I could see all kinds of fish and coral and I had the maximum possible view as the lens is so big and clear.

Overall

This is a high quality mask and you can tell the quality as soon as you pick it up. The silicone is giving yet strong and the mask is rigid and secure yet spongy and comforting on the face. I don't do much snorkelling as there is not much to see in a bath tub but when on holiday I love to go out in the sea and see what is going on out there. I can spend hours bobbing around looking at the various creatures and things, it is good fun. The fact this mask is so comfortable and reliable meant my experience was even better and for that I give this a full five stars.

• angelfish28 published 22/09/2013
    I don't get on with Cressi Masks at all, not tried one yet I could get to fit me! I'm a little surprised that the lens is plastic, usually they're tempered glass as plastic is more likely to distort and crack if you use the mask for scuba. Plus if you don't have a raw potato around saliva does just as good a job of helping to defog masks.
  • mumsymary published 22/09/2013
    Good that it is comfortable
  • mikeb2102 published 22/09/2013