Cross Fire - James Patterson

Cross Fire - James Patterson

Review of "Cross Fire - James Patterson"

published 15/11/2010 | KathEv
Member since : 08/08/2009
Good
Pro The character is still as good as ever
Cons The storyline was very weak
Would you read it again?
Story
Characters
Readability
How does it compare to similar books?

"ANOTHER let down by Mr Patterson!"

Story

Alex Cross has everything he could want. His family around him and his fiancé Bree who he plans to marry. However his wedding plans are put on hold when he is called to the scene of a double murder. The two that were murdered were high profile public figures who were corrupt so the public opinion is divided on whether the killer is a vigilante or a hero.

Max Siegel, an FBI agent, is called in to help with the case and there is a battle of both will and jurisdiction over the case. To make matters worse Alex receives a phone call from Kyle Craig, a serial killer that Alex put behind bars. The only problem is that Kyle is determined to see Alex Cross and his family all suffer, and the only way to do that is to eliminate them all.

Opinion

I feel a terrible burden when I pick up a James Patterson book these days. The man is a legend who has produced some fantastic work that has earned him the right to be called one of the bestselling authors of all time. A staggering figure is that in 2007 one in every fifteen hardback books sold was a James Patterson. I myself seem to have a love-hate relationship with his work.

Lately I haven’t been over enthused with any of his offerings and his best book in the last few months has been without a doubt ‘Worst case’ which is another popular series of books featuring Michael Bennett. It seems that all of his co-written books have been a pile of rubbish and it makes me wonder just how bad his books can get. I was however looking forward to his new release Cross Fire, his 17th in the Cross Series of books. When the book arrived my first thought was that this book would be the one that cemented my loyalty to JP and why I always pre-order his books no matter how disappointed I was with the last one.

In this latest instalment we again get drawn straight in at chapter one. JP’s infamous style of his short sharp chapters is there in abundance, which I confess I love. Alex is written exceptionally and as soon as you pick the book up you feel like you are getting reacquainted with an old friend. Nana is also still around as are the kids and you felt like you are once again part of the Cross’ hectic family life.

The story itself is the major let down for me. James Patterson in the past has come up with storylines that have had me staying up overnight to finish a book or being so engrossed that I miss my train stop. This book is certainly not up to what I would call his best standards. I thought the plot jumped and many of the chapters felt almost unfinished.

We see the re-appearance of an old adversary in the form of Kyle Craig. I was looking forward to this element of the story as you feel like you have seen Alex’ life up close and personal in all of his books. For me the first half of the book featuring Kyle Craig was okay but the second half was abysmal. It felt rushed and unfinished and had an element of laziness to it.

Overall the book was very average and again I finished it feeling that dreaded sense of disappointment returning. I don’t know why his books just don’t seem to hit the mark anymore and I find myself wondering if Alex Cross is running out of steam. In comparison his Michael Bennett novels are picking up pace and fast becoming favourites of mine. All in all, if you are expecting another corker in the Alex Cross series you may be disappointed.

Book

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: Century (11 Nov 2010)
ISBN-10: 1846054583
ISBN-13: 978-1846054587

This review also appears on www.bestbookstroread.co.uk

• silverstreak published 01/02/2011
    Strange that it's the co-written books that are below par.
  • Deesrev published 30/11/2010
    Ditto! What is it with some amazingly talented authors? Can it be the pressure of having to churn them out 'cause of contracts? But they're so successful, i'm sure this isn't necessary! But whatever it is, in the long run, popularity will suffer as theres lots of folk reading these for the first time as opposed to reading previous first class novels by the same authors. Anyhow, never disappointed by your reviews Kath :D x
  • Staffenburg published 23/11/2010
    Think i prefer Brandon Flowers Crossfire :D

Product Information : Cross Fire - James Patterson

Detective Alex Cross and Bree's wedding plans are put on hold when Alex is called to the scene of the perfectly executed assassination of two of Washington D.C.'s most hated public figures: a corrupt congressman and an underhanded lobbyist. As more crooked politicians are picked off with similar long-range shots, public opinion is divided - is the marksman a vigilante or a hero? Media coverage of the case explodes, and the FBI assigns agent Max Siegel to the investigation. As Alex and Siegel battle over jurisdiction, the murders continue. It becomes clear that they are the work of a professional who has detailed knowledge of his victims' movements, information that only a Washington insider could possess. As Alex contends with the sniper, Siegel, and the wedding, he receives a call from his deadliest adversary, Kyle Craig. The Mastermind is in D.C. and will not relent until he has eliminated Cross, and his family, for good. With a supercharged blend of action, deception, and suspense, Cross Fire is James Patterson's most visceral and exciting Alex Cross novel ever.

Type: Fiction