vialdana 4

vialdana

About me: Trying to read & rate more, but the fibro still gets in the way. I write when I can and read/rate when I am able. This means sometimes I throw lots on all at once, and then go quiet for days or weeks at a time.

Member since:18.06.2002

Now A Crown Carvery NOT a Brewers Fayre (Wolverton House)

02.09.2011

Advantages:
Great for a Cheap Roast Dinner with no fuss .

Disadvantages:
Pretty useless if you don't want a roast dinner  -  unless it's breakfast .

Standard of Menu

1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. Secre
  3. dkm1981

*A Brief Note regarding the Title*
Wolverton House isn't a Brewers Fayre - It's part of the Crown Carverys Group and has been for quite a while - since 2008 I believe.

Location:
Wolverton House lies on Stratford road between Wolverton Mil and Stony Stratford, and is set well back off the main road. To get to it, you drive up a fairly narrow driveway over some humps and then park in the car park outside the courtyard leading to the building. Originally an old manner house, today it is a pub and carvery restaurant, and is pretty well known locally for tasty food at cheap prices. The occasional event like a brass band playing in the courtyard, or quiz during the week also goes to helping this remain a place that many locals like me return to again and again.

Layout:
This Pub and Carvery Restaurant is simply laid out inside with the front room being the main pub area with bar and plenty of seating, and then behind, you go through a small chamber where the food is served, and the restaurant seating is beyond this. The restaurant seating isnít all in one large room, instead there are a number of rooms all linked with open doorways and corridors so that you never feel crowded or like the place is very full even when it actually is.

Wolverton House is part of the Crown Carveries group, and as far as I can tell, they serve the same basic menu in all their carveries across the country. In theory this means you know exactly what to expect, but of course in practice with different chefs in the kitchens thereís always going to be subtle differences.

We enjoy eating here for a number of different reasons. First and foremost, if we want a nice simple meal out, we know we can get it here at an exceedingly good price. The second reason is because itís close to where we live so thereís never far to drive, and the third reason is that you donít need to book in advance but can just turn up and eat.

The process here is very simple, arrive, buy any drinks you want, and pay for your carvery meal at the bar. Each person is given a ticket (kids get different tickets to adults so donít make the mistake we did once and just randomly hand one to each person in your group!), but other than this there isnít any difference. You choose your table, and then take your ticket to the food area, collect a tray and queue up. The food is very standard and always virtually the same, so thereís not much to think about. Yorkshire puddings come first, then three choices of meat Ė Roast Ham, Roast Turkey and Roast Beef. You can have some of each, or just one meat as you please. Then a selection of vegetables Ė this does vary slightly and Iíve seen peas, carrots, cauliflower, beans, swede, and sweetcorn there that I can recall, but there are normally only 3 choices per day. This bit is self service, so help yourself to these and some roast potatoes, and then move over to sauces and gravy if you want them.

Back to your table, and youíre sorted. Simple!

Itís not so much that the food here is brilliant Ė itís not really any better than hundreds of other carveries to be fair. It really is the combination of being nearby, knowing I can get what I want all through the day, and the price which for me makes Wolverton House worth visiting. At £3.69 during the week, and £6.79 on Sundays (they have Roast Pork on Sundays too now), itís cheap as you like, and excellent value Ė Oh and it means I donít have to cook!

They do a small selection of puddings, but to be completely fair theyíre not really anything special and we donít normally bother. The fact that you can fill your plate till itís piled as high as you like for the main course means weíre normally far to full to think about anything else afterwards except perhaps a short siesta when we get home. I do know that (fairly recently I think) theyíve started serving breakfast too. This is not something weíve yet tried, but I have to admit that the idea of a full English breakfast served up between 8am and 11am for £2.99 does appeal to me so I may well have to drag hubby down there the next chance we get to give it a go.

Do I recommend Wolverton House Ė well yes and no.

Yes. If youíre looking for a simple carvery style roast dinner without any fuss this is the place for it.

No. If youíre vegetarian, or donít like roast turkey, roast beef or roast ham, then no, this isnít the place for you.

Add the first comment!