Review of "Crown Paints"

published 05/03/2004 | kerryzach
Member since : 20/07/2003
Im back...... again!!! Hopefully this time to stay! Hope to make some new friends and get back into my writing! x
Pro covers nasty bits, easy to apply
Cons quite pricey, can only apply with brush

"Suede Effect Emulsion!"

Crown Suede Emulsion adds a subtle textured feel which is thoroughly modern. A hard wearing subtle textured matt emulsion for interior walls and ceilings. Ideal for rough walls as it adds a mottled, shadowed effect, like that of suede.

Colours available:

Sage Suede, Pale blue suede, Chalk suede, Plum suede, Dusky suede, Henna suede, Chocolate suede, Tan suede, Golden suede,Fawn suede, Cream suede and Ivory suede. Can get mactchpots for £1.99 if you are not sure of the colours but I must add that the colour shown on the tin is pretty much the same as what is achieved on the wall. I was amazed at how close it was when I decorated my walls.

A 2.5 litre tin claims to cover 20 sq metres on a flat surface and costs around £18.00. I thought it was quite pricey but was pleased with the results so forgot about the price. If you did need two or three tins at a time, it would be better, perhaps to go for a darker shade. It is to be applied using a brush. If you are thinking, 'I cant paint, then dont worry, I am the worlds worst. The beauty of this paint is that you just slap it on. You think I am kidding!?! You are told to use a criss cross action or random motion, covering the required areas. For a deeper colour, you use more motion, for a lighter effect, you are sparse with the movement.

My walls have been left with a sort of croos between a rag rolled and sponged effect. The background paint is Ivory and the suede effect pattern which comes through is in a terracotta colour. As I said, the darker you want the terracotta to be, the more paint you use and the more criss cross action you use! The only problem with this paint is, once its on, the more you try to correct yourself, the deeper and greater the effect is. You cant just wipe it off! But, saying that, I had no problems and I am the pits at decorating!

It really is as simple as that!!

I managed to do all of my living room, which is 20ft x 15ft and all of my staircase and landing with one tin!! Ok, I kept the effect light but I got the exact colour I wanted! You can apply one coat, see how you like it, then apply another if required. The effect on the wall, regarding the texture, is rather like a fine sandpaper. My house is newly built but the plaster on the walls was terribly unevem! You cannot see this now. And I have a colourful but yet fresh and airy living space.

A roller or paint pad does not allow the effect required for the result. It is hardwearing, a similar texture to artex, but much much finer. As if coloured sand has been poured into the tin and stirred in. Drying time is between 2 to 4 hours but it is pretty much touch dry in a lot less time than that.

When redecoration is required, you simply apply two coats of the new emulsion which will conceal the texture.

It is by Appointment to Her Majesty The Queen. A hard wearing subtle textured matt emulsion for interior walls and ceilings. Ideal for rough walls.

You can see the product on the crown website, www.crownpaint.co.uk, but the colour chart is very poor and does not show, at all, the true colour of the paints. If you can, go into your nearest B&Q or Do It All, and have a look at the actual tins, or buy a Matchpot!

I hope that this has been of some use. Thank you for reading.

Kerry xx

• DebzJ published 05/04/2004
    Oooh swish paint! good op, debz x
  • COOOEEE published 22/03/2004
    I like paints that give a different effect from the norm and although quite pricey I would give it a go. Good luck in the competition. Fionaxx
  • COOOEEE published 22/03/2004
    Don't forget to let me know if you want this entered for the Home Improvement March competition. Details in the Community Centre. Fionaxx

offers "Crown Paints"