Crumpler Gimp 15 inch Laptop Sleeve

Crumpler Gimp 15 inch Laptop Sleeve

A stretchy, protective laptop sleeve for up to 15-inch laptops offered in black or silver.

Review of "Crumpler Gimp 15 inch Laptop Sleeve"

published 05/09/2011 | RosesAreRed1207
Member since : 11/05/2011
Back from holiday with a new username to match my blog, check it out!
Pro looks good
Cons could do with more elastic clips
Design
Weight of bag itself

"Wrap the gimp around it!"

I have a lap top bag that I use for work that is oh so serious, with pockets for pens and the AC adapter. It is very corporate looking and there is not a hint of personality about it. However, my lap top is pretty cool and I thought that is deserved a nicer looking pouch to keep it in. I saw the "Gimp" and I thought it would be perfect to store my lap top in and protect it from scratches and knocks.
I have never heard of the brand name Crumpler before, but happened upon it when searching on Amazon. I saw the product and was quite taken with it. I checked out the company website and really liked their innovative products. I purchased my case directly from the Crumpler website and bough the 15" for £39.00. When my product arrived, I opened it with baited breath as my lap top is 15.4" and really hoped the 15" would fit. The design of the product reminds me of a scuba diving suit, it is supposed to be a snug fit and not a baggy one.

*Size matters...*

The internal dimensions of the case are 35.5 cm x 25.5 cm x 3 cm. My lap top fitted snugly inside, hurray. It was not fairly tight but there was enough give to make it a comfortable fit. It is really important you check the dimensions of your lap top before ordering, they do have a wide range of sizes, so you really should not have a problem. Customer service wise, they are excellent. My boyfriend bought a larger one for his 17" Mac book pro but when it arrived it was too wide, on emailing the customer service team, they arranged for a replacement and were more than helpful.

*Slipping it in...*

Slipping the lap top in the case is easy as the zipper fastener opens really wide. You can either fully open the zipper and fasten the lap top in, or simply pull it open half way and slot it in. The beauty of doing it this way is that it is quicker. There is no worry of the zipper scratching the lap top as there is a protective flap of material that prevents the lap top coming in contact with the zip. Fastening the lap top in properly means you can keep the sleeve wrapped around the lap top while you work. If you open the case to capacity and lay it open and flat, you can line the lap top up inside it, then using the two little elastic loops you can hook these around your screen to keep the sleeve in place.
It depends on what I'm doing as to how I put the lap top away; whichever I choose though, I know my lap top is safe and protected.

*Protection*

The case is quite thin but padded and compromises of a layer of foam with a layer of neoprene wrapped around it. This material is really stretchy and is similar to the stuff that wet suits are made from. Similarly to wet suits; the lap top case is also waterproof. I would not advocate taking the lap top swimming or in the bath however! I think it mainly means that it is splash proof and rain proof.
The case protects the lap top from scrapes and scratches but will offer minimal protection from a fall; it does not make the lap top indestructible! The exterior of many of our lap tops are quite vulnerable and easy to scratch. They are stylishly designed and so should be cared for, keeping the lap top scratch free will also increase its resale .

*Style*

The case is contemporary and looks very neat. I like the design as it is simple but looks good quality. The zip is hard wearing and tough and the case has nylon stitching which lasts a lot longer than cotton. In the middle of the case is the company logo, which is a little stick man. It is subtle enough to not look out of place when I take it into the office but still looks pretty cool. There are a number of colours to choose from, from bright red to a geeky looking brown. They are all finished with a sleek matt finish. This offers a chance to personalise the lap top. I bought a grey one; this probably makes me rather boring doesn't it?

*Practicality*

The lap top case is thin enough for me to slip it into my old lap top bag. The beauty of this means that I can still have my cool case for use in the office and still have my old bag that accommodates the charger and mouse.
The case is comfortable to hold and easy to zip up. As I use the bag more, the fit started becoming less snug and the case (being quite a pale grey) started looking a bit grubby. I bunged it in the washing machine on a low setting and this seemed to freshen it up and the case was as good as new.
The cases come with a whopping 30 year guarantee, which is sure to live out any lap top! I was amazed by this and it really won me over; the company must have a lot of faith in their products.

*Overall*

These cases are one of the best I have seen, they are remarkably good quality and a great way to store the lap top. The material used it stretchy, yet strong and really does protect the lap top from those scratches and scrapes from the toll of day to day.
I'd fully recommend this product to anyone who has a netbook or lap top. They even do iPad covers now!
I paid £39.00 which is rather expensive but with the 30 year guarantee, I think it is worth it!

• LadyValkyrie published 05/09/2011
    I already have a laptop bag, but...nice!
  • mumsymary published 05/09/2011