Crumpler The Le Royale Case For cellular phone (ROYIPH-002)

Crumpler The Le Royale Case For cellular phone (ROYIPH-002)

Review of "Crumpler The Le Royale Case For cellular phone (ROYIPH-002)"

published 06/05/2009 | jeaniecz
Member since : 10/02/2008
Pro material, simple to use
Cons price
Sound & Volume
Durability & Robustness

"iPhone's pamper"

Le Royale for iPhone

(please note this is the correct product name, not "Crumpler case for cellular phone", as this case was made particularly FOR the iPhone (of course suits also iPhone 3G, if you wonder).

If you buy a cellphone the face of which is almost completely made of glass, you have a problem - how to keep him safe? Something so precious and potentially fragile needs good protection against all the evil sharp stuff I keep in my handbag, not to mention -god forbid!- what could happen should it fall.

Since there wasn't anything from Apple and I got no other tips, I went to check my favourite store - Crumpler. And there goes the devil! Le Royale for iPhone sitting nicely on the rack. The decision was made at that instant and I'm not sorry.

The MUST list for a proper cellphone case:

1. Durable - Le Royale is made of hard leather and the inside is impregnated as well as all the areas of contact where the edges are sewn tightly together.

2. Safe - This is the safest case I've seen. I don't recommend trying to house your iPhone in at the store because then you might be forced to buy it as it's quite tricky to get the phone out! Ok, let me explain this - the first few days with your new Le Royale you'll be missing your iPhone a lot because he likes sleeping inside the case so much you'll grow really big finger muscles pulling him out. I stuffed the case with my old cellphone (almost twice as thick as the iPhone) for the first two nights and it didn't seem to have dilatated him at all.
However, somewhere after a week of use I noticed I could get the iPhone out way faster and without praying my fingers wouldn't slip. Now the case is just tight enough so the phone doesn't fall out but can be ejected easily.

- minus point on the safety-
As shown on the pictures, the case is a simple push-in type, there's no strap or cover. Even if that doesn't mean phone can get out, it very much means tiny pieces of rubbish or dust can get inside.
If the iPhone falls on the floor hitting it with its corner that is unprotected, it is likely to result into a crack or bigger problem. But if the top is "naked", it means the bottom is heavier so is likely to strike the ground first.

3. Nice-looking - yes, that is a must! If you got a nice phone, it needs to have a nice case. Le Royale goes in 4 colour versions - white with green stripes, red with white stripes, brown with orange stripes and black with grey stripes. They all look great I must say, but I also wanted something not so attention catching and that won't get dirty soon (as I expect white leather to get). My iPhone is black so the black/grey case fits him perfectly.

Part of nice-looking also is the case doesn't add very much to the bulk so you can still slip the phone into your back pocket when cased and here Le Royale gets the points.

4. Price - ah right. You can't expect Crumpler to get cheap, that's true. With the price roughly 45 euro at the Crumpler store it's quite on the expensive side but there are ways to get it cheaper. And remember the life-warranty.

5. No interference with functionality of the cell phone - This is not 100% fullfilled. I do insert my iPhone heads first into the case so that when pulling out I don't need to grab on its side volume control button, which means the reproductor on the bottom of the iPhone isn't blocked by the case - you don't need to increase the ringtone volume. But what is blocked is the headset jack and that I do find quite annoying! Basically, if you wanna listen to music on the headphones and put the iPhone into the case, you need to get him in bottom first, otherwise you can't reach the jack.

Number of iPhone falls when in the case: 4
Type of landing surface: carpet 1, tiles 1, lino 2
Number Cracks: 0

Overall

Lovely case. Lovely iPhone. Am happy.

This review was read 2021 times and was rated at

• fizzytom published 10/05/2009
    Nice to see you around!
  • MurkyDismal published 10/05/2009
    Well written review x
  • tallulahbang published 07/05/2009
    Who'd've thought the devil was to be found in Crumpler? My money would've been on Tie Rack. xx