Cubasis VST 2.0 Complete package

Cubasis VST 2.0 Complete package

Review of "Cubasis VST 2.0 Complete package"

published 17/03/2001 | dave27
Member since : 24/09/2000
Good
Pro Good results, powerful
Cons Extremely complicated
Instructions / Help
Ease of Installation
Reliability
Range of extra features / functions

"Not for the faint hearted"

About a year ago, I started checking out midi software for the PC because I really fancied the idea of making some music via the PC. I used to be in a band in the 80's and have got a couple of CD's out with them and the idea of doing some new stuff just using computer, cutting it to CD and flogging it was pretty exciting.

For those who have never tried, it's very easy and extremely satisfying to make music via your PC and you should check it out - it's a brilliant pastime.

I checked out a couple of programs from some of the cover discs you get around and found that Cakewalk express was pretty usable and flexible and came up with good results. The only prob with it was that you couldn't lay down any audio tracks without upgrading to Cakewalk's Pro version.

So I had a nosey around on the net to see if there were any freebie downloadable prograns out there and I happened upon a trial version of Cubase VST 24. (Sorry I can't remember the URL for those of you who might be interested, but a search on Cubase should bring it up)

I downloaded it which took an age and played around with it for a while. I was able to get some pretty good results that I was happy with in the end, but I have to admit that this software definitely seemed to be very complicated and not very intuitive.

I was soon convinced that it was not for me and stopped using it pretty quickly and reverted back to Cakewalk. I managed to get a cheapo copy of the Pro program and have been delighted with it.

I have to say that these things are largely a matter of taste and that I always find it very difficult to unlearn how to use one package so that you can get to grips with new software. I remember I had an awful job getting used to Microsoft Access after growing up with Borland's Paradox database. (After a long lay off from using Paradox, I tried again and managed to master Access - wonderful program). I'm therefore probably the last person in the world to express an opinion about Cubase, but I'll do so anyway because I'm good like that. If you want music making software, then stick to Cakewalk

• crustypaul published 17/03/2001
    Cubase can be a bitch to learn if you are not used to the layout and there's a lot of stuff about it that's just a total pain in the arse. I would recommend E-magic Logic Audio. It's possibly the best sequencer for audio and midi you can get but has also got one of the steepest learning curves you will ever encounter. I hate Cubase but have to use it cos everyone else i know uses it. Bugger!
  • dave27 published 17/03/2001
    I doubt if you've heard of my band - The Aucadion - we were from Stafford and we had a couple of tours in the early 80's. You can get details at http://www.tommo2.co.uk/music/aucadion.htm if you're interested
  • Dizz published 17/03/2001
    Hey Dave - what band were you in? My boyfriend, who is a composer/songwriter uses Cubase VST and although there are some silly bugs in it, I think he's quite happy with it on the whole. Good opinion!

Product Information : Cubasis VST 2.0 Complete package

Cubasis VST is the ultimate recording studio for your computer. Transform your computer into a complete recording studio. Cubasis VST has all the powerful main elements of Steinberg's larger Cubase VST program. The best of professional audio recording combined with intuitive MIDI recording, virtual synthesizers and physical modeled sounds, coupled with the possibility to burn the end result, professionally mastered to CD. Both Audio and MIDI recording is fully integrated and with just simple tools you can combine both into your own compositions. Professional realtime audio effects are included, along with software synthesizers showing sampled drum-sounds, virtual vintage analog synths and physically modeled sounds. Cubasis VST also has professional quality score printouts complete with automatic layout. Cubasis VST is hard disk recording without expensive additional hardware, all you need is a standard Windows soundcard.

Product Description: Cubasis VST - ( v. 2.0 ) - complete package

Category: Creativity application

Subcategory: Creativity - music or sound creation, utilities - CD / DVD recording

Version: 2.0

Licence Type: Complete package

Licence Qty: 1 user

Licence Pricing: Standard

Platform: Windows

Distribution Media: CD-ROM

Package Type: Retail

OS Required: Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

General

Licence Type: Complete package

Licence Qty: 1 user

Licence Pricing: Standard

Platform: Windows

Min Supported Colour Depth: 8-bit (256 colours)

Distribution Media: CD-ROM

Package Type: Retail

System Requirements

Min Processor Type: Intel Pentium - 200 MHz

Min RAM Size: 64 MB

Peripheral / Interface Devices: Sound card, mouse or compatible device, SVGA monitor

Listed on Ciao since: 02/07/2000