Curry Cuisine Indian Cookery Course

Curry Cuisine Indian Cookery Course

Review of "Curry Cuisine Indian Cookery Course"

published 06/11/2010 | fizzytom
Member since : 21/07/2003
Just had our 2 year anniversary of coming to Slovenia. How time flies!
Pro Great teacher, well presented course, delicious food
Cons Kitchen a little small, limited number of hands on courses through the year
Type of Book
Quality of Text
Interesting/Absorbing?
Logical Layout?

"Prett's Saturday Kitchen - Learn to Cook Great Curry in Leeds"

We now prepare garlic, ginger and chillies in larger quantities in advance to save time

Prett Tejura‘s home looks like any other in this quiet cul de sac in the south Leeds suburb of Tingley but behind the innocent looking front door, there’s a wonderful spicy secret: Curry Cuisine.

I stumbled upon Curry Cuisine when looking for an Indian cookery course for my partner’s birthday. I was originally interested in a hands-on course where you actually get to do some cooking yourself but there were no places available on dates that were suitable so when I booked two places on the half day “A Taste of India” session, I wasn’t one hundred per cent sure I’d made the right choice as I thought it might be too basic for us because we already cook Indian food from scratch a lot at home.

Curry Cuisine is much more than just cookery courses, however; as well as offering a selection of different cooking sessions, Prett makes and markets several ranges of Indian pickles and chutneys, does cookery demonstrations at different events, caters for private dinner parties and sells specialist cookery items.

The website is really colourful and easy to navigate and there’s a downloadable brochure that gives a really good overview of the different courses offered. The website also has a link to her chutneys and pickles and you can order on line, although I have been noticing more and more stores stocking her products. I contacted Prett by email and she responded swiftly. She sent me a form in the post which I completed and sent with payment details – you can pay by cheque or credit card – and Prett sent me confirmation and directions to her house by return. She also sends a gift certificate in case you are buying a course as a gift for someone else.

THE “TASTE OF SPICE” COURSE

We were staying in Leeds city centre and travelled to Tingley by bus, a journey of about twenty minutes from a stop near the train station. If you are driving it’s easy to get to, being just a couple of minutes from the White Rose shopping centre. You can park in the close where Prett lives.

We were the first to arrive and we had a cup of coffee while we waited for the others to arrive and for Prett and her assistant to finish the preparations for the session. Once the three other couples had arrived the session got underway. As Prett describes the content of the session we enjoyed some poppadoms with a selection of Curry Cuisine chutneys. The company makes a wide range of pickles and chutneys, many quite traditional but there are also a few more unusual ones which make use of local produce. Tingley is on the edge of the “rhubarb triangle” so it’s only right that there’s a product that uses locally grown rhubarb and this stuff is so good that it has won Curry Cuisine a national award.

The session takes place in Prett’s open plan kitchen-dining room and most of it takes place around the island in the centre of the kitchen. This session is limited to eight people which is a good number because you couldn’t comfortably get more people round the island, and because it is enough people to generate a lively atmosphere without being too noisy. When Prett wanted us to see something cooking, we could take turns to move towards the hob which was not on the island, but on one wall. It would have been good if the hob was in the centre too but it wasn’t too much of an issue.

We were all given a hand out at the beginning of the session which contained the recipes for the dishes being made that day as well as a couple of others we might like to try, and a list of commonly used spices and other ingredients with an explanation of their uses and health advantages. Some people took extra notes but the ones provided were really comprehensive and well written.

Although there were only a couple of opportunities for people to roll their sleeves up and help. Prett was really good at keeping her audience interested, passing around spices to smell and asking us to step forward now and again to see the progress of the preparation of the dishes. She was happy to answer questions, however basic they might have seemed but best of all she had lots of tips for food preparation and cooking, and also for storage of ingredients. We always buy a huge bunch of fresh coriander every week but used to find it was going black and horrible after a few days; now we know how to make it last longer*. Another tip was to chop bigger quantities of things used regularly like garlic and chillies, add a little oil and keep them in sealed plastic containers in the fridge, making it much quicker to make meals in the evening as a lot of the fiddly preparation is done.

First Prett made a starter of delicious deep fried potato balls and once they were done we sat back at the table to enjoy them. After that brief interlude it was back to the kitchen for the preparation of the main course – a chicken curry, with rice, chapattis and a side dish of okra. What was great about the menu was that none of the dishes used anything that would be difficult to get hold of. (I should state here that Prett asked at the time of booking whether we had any special dietary requirements and due to my allergy, did not include any nuts in the recipes she showed us that day).

Several of us got the chance to try rolling out the chapattis – not as easy as it looks but once acquired it’s a skill you don’t forget, and cooking the chapattis for which a special utensil was used to flatten the chapattis in the pan as they puffed up.
By the time the main course was ready we were starving – the kitchen was filled with the most wonderful aroma and the food looked very appetising. It didn’t last long and afterwards we were brought a plate of wedges of juicy orange before the purses came out.

Prett doesn’t do a hard sell when it comes to her pickles and chutneys, spice mixes and cooking equipment, but nobody left without buying something. The more you buy the better the discount so we bought three varieties of chutney including the very good Indian beetroot chutney which goes particularly well with a strong cheddar. Prett’s products are sold under the name “Curry Cuisine” and “Chutnees” so look out for them in the shops (or take a look at the website where you can by online too).

LAST WORDS

I paid £50 per person for this experience and it was well worth it. My concerns that we wouldn’t learn much were blown out of the water – we learned loads and got some excellent tips which we’ve incorporated into our own cooking. We had a lovely morning and met some really nice people; even though you’re on the course with strangers, you have one thing in common from the beginning – you love Indian food!

I would thoroughly recommend the Taste of Spice course as an introduction and, going by the high standard already witnesses, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend any of the other sessions.

* To store coriander, lay it on kitchen roll in a sealable plastic box and store it in the fridge

Please ignore Ciao criteria which do not apply

• eve6kicksass published 20/11/2010
    Not a big fan of this type of cuisine, so the course isnt for me. Excellent review tho! Chris x
  • duskmaiden published 08/11/2010
    fascinating and sounds like a great present. i'm coming to yours for tea!
  • paulpry118 published 07/11/2010