DHL

Review of "DHL"

published 18/09/2003 | secretdancer
Member since : 21/07/2003
Satisfactory
Pro The delivery has to be signed for
Cons A delivery driver with his own agenda, no customer service
Speed of delivery
Reliability of company
Competitiveness of charges/prices
Customer service

"Home Express it isn't"

I was recently on the receiving end of a delivery shipped with Securicor Omega Express - a sub division of DHL. They demonstrated poor service which reflects even more so on the company that sent the item, which I am sure they would not wish repeated

I ordered an expensive digital camera from Amazon which due to the value of the item involved they shipped with Omega Express for delivery within 5 working days. I naturally assumed that a good deal of care would be taken with its delivery and that I would be the proud owner of a shiny new camera in a matter of one or two days.

The item was dispatched according to Amazon one Wednesday morning. Great I thought, even if I miss the delivery I’ll be able to collect it on Friday from the delivery depot.

On the Thursday evening I returned home from work to find a delivery note from Omega Express saying that they had tried to deliver a package but unfortunately I was not home to receive it. As a signature was required for the package they quite rightly decided not to leave the package with a neighbour or hidden out of sight. However, no details were left on the card to suggest they would try and deliver again the following day, but I just presumed, as experience has taught me in the past, that this tends to happen. On the card however was a phone number and name of the delivery driver that I could call to arrange delivery. So I phoned the number and was greeted with a BT answer service (the 1571 answer service). A bit odd I thought for a company as large as DHL to have a 1571 answer service, so I was a bit reluctant to leave a message. No problem I thought, Omega Express will try and deliver again because they try three times. If on the third time there is still no-one to receive the package they hold onto it for a week then return it to sender if it is not claimed.

So upon returning home from work on Friday I expected to find another delivery note. Nothing arrived. Called the number again, between the hours specified on the card, this time the answer service couldn’t take my message as it was full! Saturday maybe? Nothing.

OK, they may be busy, they may not deliver on weekends, I’ll give them until Monday evening, surely they will have tried to deliver it by then?!

Monday came and went and nothing was delivered, so again I tried to contact Omega, again, no reply, just the same full answer service. This was no becoming a joke and I was getting increasingly frustrated.

Tuesday evening came and still no delivery. I called again and I finally got through to the delivery driver that left the original delivery card. I asked if he, or Omega were going to deliver the package. “Oh yes!” he said, “That’s the package from Amazon isn’t it?” “I am planning to deliver it on Thursday or Friday, is that OK?”

WHAT !!! You plan to deliver it when you’re ready, maybe Thursday, maybe Friday, who knows! That’s over a week later than the original delivery!

A little bemused at this response, and knowing all to well that I will be in work on both of those days, I asked if I could pick it up from the Omega depot. Not a problem he tells me, but it’s not at the depot, but at the delivery driver’s private residence! A little confused I agreed to collect the package that night rather than waiting for a delivery driver with a mind all of his own when it comes to making deliveries!

I contacted DHL to ask if it is standard practice to keep customers guessing as to when their delivery can be expected, and if it is also standard practice to store valuable goods in private dwellings? Their response was to pass the buck onto a sub contracted delivery firm, stating that they have not had problems in the past but will be fully investigating the matter. I haven’t heard anything since, nor do I expect to do so.

This is the first bad delivery experience with Amazon and one that leaves a bitter taste. I do not blame Amazon and it will not stop me from using their service again. I did contact Amazon to explain the poor service demonstrated by DHL. As with DHL they said they value the feedback and will forward the matter to the necessary department for consideration.

I accept that with the quantity of packages that DHL handle there will be inevitable problems and wayward deliveries, but it seems an odd practice for delivery drivers to take their work home with them – so to speak! It raises concerns over insurance, safety, theft, etc….

To future customers – good luck!

• tommietucker published 04/09/2006
    A truly unfortunate experience. I myself work as a courier ,home based and this is now not unusual,personally I always use my mobile number on any cards more chance of contact. If the driver kept on trying to deliver it would drive up cosy of delivery,time schedukles can be quite tight.
  • ampuk2000 published 12/12/2003
    I have had parcels delivered by them a couple of times by them (but have always been at home at the time). To be honest though I wouldn't expect them to keep trying to deliver your parcel everyday as you may be on holiday for example and so you wouldn't be in for many days, therefore creating extra work for the drivers. However, I find it unacceptable that your parcel was at the drivers house. If something had happened to the parcel you can just imagine what a fuss they would make of replacing your order.
  • VickyVickster published 18/09/2003
    Hiya! I decided to rate this a "H" because although thoroughly explaining your experience,you haven't really gone into much about DHL themselves..there set up etc etc. If you decide to modify,let me know and i'll re-rate! :) It must have been a blummin' awful experience though!

Product Information : DHL