DHL

Review of "DHL"

published 07/08/2006 | honey000
Member since : 18/07/2006
Pro Honesty, Friendly customer service staff
Cons Dishonest staff in warehouse, no system control
Speed of delivery
Reliability of company
Competitiveness of charges/prices
Customer service

"DHL staff "lost" my ipod"

I have just had such a bad experience with DHL that I have to share it. But despite their (huge) failings, the customer help line staff are honest and friendly.

I ordered a 30 GB ipod for my fiance for his birthday present from Amazon who ship it to you using DHL deliveries. I ordered the ipod on 23 June - it was shipped and was "zapped" into and out of the Hatfield DHL warehouse on 26 July.

Now it had not arrived by 1 August so I checked the status of my order on Amazon and it said that the order had been dispatched but would be with me on 2 - 4 August 2006.

4 August came and went with no ipod so I telephoned DHL today and asked what had happened to my package.

The lady who answered the phone was very friendly and helpful and went very quiet when I gave her my order number. She then cheerfully told me that the package had "sprouted legs and walked out of the DHL depot".

I was slightly shocked by this and asked for clarification - she told me that the package had left the Hatfield depot and was sent to the DHL Vauxhall depot, on 26 July. However it was never "zapped in" (logged as arriving) at the Vauxhall depot. I asked why and she told me that DHL have a serious problem with staff stealing packages, at the Vauxhall depot as they have a lot of agency staff working there.

I asked what I should do, since I had paid £185 for the package and actually wanted it! She cheerfully told me to phone Amazon and they would arrange for a free replacement for me. She said that Amazon would bill DHL directly for the loss and that Amazon knew about the problems they were having with staff dishonesty (especially at the Vauxhall depot).

Surely enough I phoned Amazon who are sending me a free replacement but not using DHL.

What I don't understand is why a company as big as DHL do not sort out the problem of staff dishonesty - surely it must be cheaper in the long run for them to do this than to keep paying Amazon (presumably for two ipods plus the courier fees with another company) - but perhaps I am missing some major new business strategy!!!

• Averilla published 08/08/2006
    This would be better placed in the buyer beware section. If you E-mail Ciao they will move it for you. Av

Product Information : DHL